The recycle bin is a temporary storage path for deleted files in the Windows Operating system. When files are deleted from the hard drive of your computer, these files are first transferred to the recycle bin from where they can now be permanently deleted from the computer system.
It can sometimes happen that when files are deleted from the computer, they are not sent to the recycle bin as they are normally supposed to.
These are various causes of the deleted files not going to the recycle bin in Windows 7, 8/8.1, 10. There are certain practices you can just avoid doing in order to prevent this from happening again such as;
Here in this tutorial, you will find 5 main ways in which you can be able to solve this problem with the ability to recover the missing files if needed.
Whenever you notice that your deleted files bypass the recycle bin, you should immediately check the recycle bin properties to find out if the "Don’t move files to the Recycle Bin" option is activated. The procedure is an easy one and goes thus;
1. Locate the recycle bin icon and Right-click on it.
2. As the pop-up menu appears, click on Properties (You may still access properties by opening the recycle bin and clicking on Recycle bin properties under the Recycle bin tools tab)
3. When the Recycle Bin Properties are displayed, check to verify that "Don’t move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted" is not selected. If it is, unselect it by clicking on the Custom size button.
If you follow the above steps properly, you will be able to solve the problem of the deleted items not showing up in the recycle bin.
Deleted files not showing up in recycle bin may result from the fact that they are hidden files. To solve the problem in such a situation,
1. Open This PC on the desktop.
2. Click on the View tab and select Options. Then, choose the Change folder and search options in the menu.
3. Click on the View tab and in Advanced settings, choose Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and unselect the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).
4. A system warning may pop up, click the Yes button then press the Apply button and the OK button to confirm all changes.
5. Once this is done, restart your computer. In the system disk C:/ partition, you will find the hidden folder $Recycle.Bin. Check for the deleted files inside.
The Window’s Recycle bin has a size limit. If files are deleted and are not found in the recycle bin after the deletion, this may be as a result of the recycle bin being full or its maximum storage capacity being exceeded. To solve this problem, you may either delete some useless files from the recycle bin to create room for more, or you can increase the size of the recycle bin. To increase the size of the recycle bin;
1. Go to recycle bin Properties (procedure shown in step 1)
2. Locate the Custom size setting and alter it by clicking in the box and editing the maximum size putting what you want as the new size.
3. Apply changes and click on OK.
In case the recycle bin is corrupted and doesn’t function properly as it should normally do function, the best option of solving the problem is by resetting the Recycle Bin. To reset the recycle bin,
1. In the search bar, type cmd
2. Once the Command Prompt shortcut appears in the result list, right-click it and Run as administrator.
3. As it opens, type in rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin and press the enter key.
4. This will effectively reset your recycle bin.
5. Finally, restart your windows and find out if the problem persists.
If you notice your deleted files are not saved in the recycle bin only after the deletion of important files, the only way to recover them is by using data recovery software. As of now, the best and most compatible recovery software is iBeesoft Data Recovery. This software is 100% safe and will help you recover your deleted files even if they are not present in the recycle bin. It is compatible with various file types and as such, it can save your files even if they are not among the category of the common file types. Easy to use yet very efficient, iBeesoft Data Recovery is the most user-friendly data recovery software.
NB: To perform a data recovery process, you should not install any software or put any file into the hard drive which had the deleted files. This is because when a file is deleted, its structure remains in the hard drive ready to be overwritten by new data. So if anything is put into the disk that contained the deleted files, you may end up losing the files by destroying their structure preventing data recovery which is based on data reconstruction from the file structure.
To recover your deleted files with iBeesoft Data Recovery,
1. Download and install the software. Make sure to install it on a different hard drive from that which contained the deleted files to increase your chances of successful data recovery. Once installation is complete, open the software.
2. On the first page, you will have to select the file type you want to recover from the common file types. Is it a video, an audio, a picture you want to recover? Choose from the list by checking the box next to the file type. To increase your chances of data recovery, select Other file types so that even the rarest file types can be recovered. Once this is done, press on Start button.
3. This is the location where the files where before they were deleted. Select the drive which contained the recovered files from the list. After selecting the location to scan, click on scan on the top left of the software window.
4. This will perform a quick scan by default and will take some time. Once it is completed, the files that were recovered will be listed. Go through the files and locate what you wanted to recover. If you can’t locate the file, perform a deep scan. This will take a longer time than a quick scan but will be a more intense search. As soon as the deep scan is completed, the recovered files will be listed. Go through the list again and now you should be able to find the file your file.