How to Recover Deleted Files from USB Drive
USB flash drives are mobile storage devices we often use in work and life. They are often used to save important data and transfer files between different devices. If you can't find your essential files on your USB drive, then the following cases may be responsible:
- ❌ Sudden deletion of folder or files from your USB drive without backup.
- 🗞️ Unexpected USB flash drive formatting and forgetting to save your files.
- 🔼 Incorrectly unplugging it during file transfer.
- 👻 The virus attack caused all files saved on a thumb drive to disappear.
- ⛔ It denies access, requires formatting, or other reasons that may lead to data loss.
These are the common reasons for the loss of files from USB sticks. So can I recover deleted files from a USB drive? Don't worry; this article introduces some ways to get them back. Read on!
- Quick Navigation
- Part 1. Recover Deleted Flash Drive Files with Data Recovery Software [High Success recovery Rate]
- Part 2. Restore Deleted Files from USB Flash Drive without Software [Free]
- Part 3. Resume USB Flash Drive by Data Recovery Service
- Part 4. How to Protect Your Files on USB Flash Drive
- Part 5. How to Repair Corrupted Flash Drive to Avoid Data Disappearance
- Part 6. Frequently Asked Questions
Recover Deleted Flash Drive Files with Data Recovery Software [High Success recovery Rate]
If you accidentally delete files from the USB drive, you can't get them back from the Recycle Bin like on the computer. Are they gone forever? No, when you remove the files from the flash drive, they are marked as deleted by the system and hidden, waiting to be overwritten by new data. If there are no written new files, they remain on the USB drive, so we have a chance for recovery of the USB deleted file.
To help you eliminate this myriad, you must access trusted and reliable software to carry out your task. For example, the iBeesoft Data Recovery tool is used worldwide to recover deleted flash drive files in Windows 7/10/11 and Mac. This proficient tool facilitates fast recovery of lost data by a malware attack, accidental deletion, formatting, or other reasons from a USB flash drive. In short, the iBeesoft Data Recovery tool will take seconds to resolve this issue.
- Can quickly recover files from hard disk, USB drive, memory card, and other storage device.
- The flash drive file recovery software can also fix partially destroyed files.
- Versions are available for Windows and Mac
- No drawbacks of this software have been accounted for to date.
To Recover Permanently Deleted Files from USB Drive in Windows 11/10/7:
- Download, install and run iBeesoft Data recovery software. Click the "Go to setting" to deselect unwanted file types. You can skip this step if you need to find multiple categories of files.
- Under the External Devices option, you can see all removable storage devices connected to your computer. Select the target drive and tap on the "Scan" symbol to extract deleted files from the USB flash drive.
- After the scanning of your USB flash drive is completed, you can take a look at all the lost files. Then, choose them and press the "Recover" icon to save them on your PC or other drives.
Tip: If you cannot find all the lost USB files or cannot open them, please go to the "Other Lost Files" and "Tags" folders to check them. You can also use this step to recover deleted files from a USB drive on Mac.
Recover Deleted Files from USB Flash Drive without Software [Free]
Can I retrieve a deleted file from a USB drive without the software? Some ways might accomplish this task. As a prerequisite, you must meet their requirements. Next, let's try it.
Method 1. Use Shortcut Keys to Undelete from Flash Drive
Generally speaking, you need to insert the thumb drive into the computer before you can edit, copy, delete, and more of the saved files. Therefore, when your flash drive file is deleted by mistake, you can use the Ctrl+Z keys to undo the operation. This method is straightforward; you just need to press this key combination several times a row until your mistakenly deleted files are restored to the USB drive.
- The easiest way to recover deleted files on USB Flash Drive
- It is only suitable for immediate use; after deleting the File, there cannot be many other operations.
Method 2. Recover Deleted Files From USB Using Command Prompt
CMD, also regarded as Command Prompt, is essential to every Windows installation. The Attrib command can clear the read-only or hidden attribute of the File. Therefore, you can try this method to recover deleted files using CMD.
- Provide great control to an operating system
- It eliminates the need for any third-party tools
- Easy command prompt interface to render quick resolution with troubleshooting
- You have to be very articulate and attentive while entering commands.
- The command prompt would not work even if there were tiny errors.
Follow the step-by-step guide to recover deleted flash drive files with the help of the Attrib Command.
- Click on the Windows + R keys to launch your run program.
- Enter cmd and tap on the Entering key to open your command prompt.
- In the opened Command prompt Window, enter the chkdsk USB drive letter: /f. Tap on the Enter key.
- Use the "ATTRIB -H -R -S /S /D drive letter of the flash drive:*.*", and click Enter.
By proper execution, you can access your files in a new folder on your USB drive. Changing your file extensions to use them with other applications is essential.
Method 3. Check for Copies from Elsewhere
The primary function of the U disk is storing essential files so you can use them anytime, anywhere. Usually, these files are copied from our computers. So, we can also avoid data loss by checking whether other storage devices have copies, of course, provided that it is not removed after the transfer is completed. So when you find that the Flash Drive file is accidentally deletion, you can recall whether it was saved elsewhere.
- A possible way to restore deleted files from USB drive
- It is may not be the latest version
Method 4. Recover Deleted Files from Flash Drive from a Previous Version
This function is accessible in every recent Windows operating system version 7, 8, 10, and 11. You can recover deleted flash drive files using the restore previous versions option without using other tools. This feature only functions if you enable this option before removing the files.
- Ease of management
- No need to use any professional software
- Lacks accuracy
- Won't work if you have deleted your File History.
To recover your lost data from your USB flash drive. Execute the steps below.
- Connect your USB flash drive to your device.
- Enter 'This PC' to access the start menu. Then, on the keyboard, click on Enter.
- Right-tap on the USB flash drive and choose Properties.
- Visit the "Previous Versions" tab and see the entire list of all recovery options. Opt for a previous version and tap on Restore.
If you can't find previous versions, this method does not help recover deleted flash drive files for free. In such a case, choose to go forward with the iBeesoft Data Recovery tool to ensure guaranteed results.
Resume USB Flash Drive by Data Recovery Service
Suppose all the above methods fail. You can also try to find a local data recovery service provider to help you. They specialize in data recovery, data/database repair, database decryption recovery, etc. Their lab has a class 10 clean room, magnetic head Advanced equipment such as locators, electronic magnifiers, etc. Even if your USB drive is physically damaged, they can still retrieve files from a USB drive through the open-disk technology.
- Solve almost all data loss problems
- Expensive and time-consuming
- This service may have the risk of privacy leakage
How to Protect Your Files on USB Flash Drive
Deleting a folder or File accidentally is widespread for many PC users. However, it can lead to immense stress as the user looks for several ways to recover deleted flash drive files. For example, this loss can be frustrating when talking about USB drives, which may have copies of critical audio files or photos.
Few precautions can be practiced to reduce the chances of data loss affecting flash drives. Some are as follows:
- 🎏 Take regular backups of the data – You should follow this with every type of storage device. You may get into trouble if you don't have a backup of every electronic version of your essential File.
- 🏷️ Take care of your delicate Flash drives – A flash drive is prone to physical damage or can be broken easily, which makes it tough to recover your data. If you take care of the data, it implies you are taking proper care of the devices.
- 🔍 Check for any virus or malware attack – A virus may be responsible for the accidental loss of your files. However, if you protect your system with anti-virus software, it will help to reduce the chances of files being corrupted by viruses or malware.
How to Repair Corrupted Flash Drive to Avoid Data Disappearance
The USB flash drive may be damaged after being used for a long time or improperly operated, causing it not to be opened or displayed on the computer. You can now use the following methods to repair it and get back the saved files.
- 💢 Fix USBs that deny access or need to be formatted to use - Run Command Prompt as administrator and enter chkdsk USB drive letter: /f.
- 💤 Repair Flash Drive not showing in PC - Open Disk Management, select USB and right-click, select "Change Drive Letter and Paths," and choose a free drive letter for it.
- 🚫 Fix USB drive files that cannot be copied - Right-click on the drive and select 'Properties.' Click on 'Tools' in the Window and click on the 'Inspect' button.
- 📚 Fix unable to store files over 4G - Open CMD as administrator and enter convert USB drive letter:/fs: NTFS.
- 🔒 USB cancel password protection - Open the Control Panel, select 'BitLocker Drive Encryption, and click 'Unlock Drive' in the Drive Encryption window. After entering the password in the pop-up Window, click Unlock.
Losing USB flash drive data may invite immense stress. However, it's significant to take adequate steps to protect the data that can reduce the data loss exposure, but finding a trusted method to ensure 100% protection of your files is tricky.
You may have to recover deleted flash drive files due to situations beyond your reach. Professional undelete or unformat flash drive tool like iBeesoft Data recovery offers world-class service to perform a successful recovery process. Stop using your USB drive when you experience data loss, and let iBeesoft get the files back.
Frequently Asked Questions
A: Usually, all the deleted files from your USB flash drive are removed permanently instead of stored in the recycle bin.
A: You can get back lost data by backing up. If not, then you can also use iBeesoft Data Recovery to help you. It has no limitations and can quickly recover files from USB drive after being deleted/formatted.
A: Abide by the steps below:
- Suppose 'F' is the flash drive's letter.
- Right-press on your folder containing deleted files and choose to restore previous versions.
- Under the tab "Previous Versions," in your popped Window, click to recover files from File History or previous versions.
If that fails, you can also try iBeesoft data recovery software.
A: Whether deleted or formatted, they will mark the data saved in the USB as deleted and hide it. Therefore, you can get them back through data recovery software. Among them, iBeesoft Data Recovery is your best choice. It can recover USB flash drive files, and repair damaged data
A: Abide by the steps below:
- Connect the USB to the computer
- Download and open iBeesoft free data recovery software
- Select your flash drive to scanning
- Go to the "Deleted Files" folder to check found data.
- Select them to save.
A: There is no best USB recovery software, which may be outstanding in some data loss scenarios. However, you can try the eight famous tools below to help recover data from USB flash drive.
- iBeesoft Data Recovery
- Disk Drill
- Stellar Data Recovery
- Wondershare Data Recovery
- EaseUS Data Recovery