Windows 11 Undelete | How to Recover Permanently Deleted Files in Windows 11
With the advancement of technology, our digital life has become more prosperous. For this, computer systems have many options built into them to keep them safe. However, no matter how careful you are, there's always a chance of accidental deletion; even Microsoft's latest Windows 11 is no exception. If this should happen to you, don't fret! Just keep scrolling down, as this guide entails almost all methods to help you recover deleted files in Windows 11.
- Quick Navigation
- Part 1. Can permanently delete files be restored in Windows 11?
- Ways 1. Use the "Undo Delete" Option to Undelete Files on Windows 11 (It is valid if no other operations are performed after the deletion.)
- Ways 2. Find Deleted Items from Recycle Bin in Windows 11 (Need not empty it)
- Ways 3. Recover Permanently Deleted Files in Windows 11 using CMD (Needs luck)
- Ways 4. Undelete Windows 11 by Previous Version (Need you to have a backup)
- Ways 5. Recover Deleted Files on Windows 11 Using File History (Need you to have a backup)
- Ways 6. Restore Deleted Files in Windows 11 by System Backup (Need you to have a backup)
- Part 4. Tips for Avoid Data Loss in Windows 11
- Part 5. FAQs
Can permanently delete files be restored in Windows 11?
Generally speaking, when we remove a file in Windows 11, the PC will put it in the recycle bin, and you can easily find it there. If you use "Shift + Delete" or empty the recycle bin, it will be cleared directly. In this way, is the file really permanently gone? Don't worry, in fact, the system just deletes its index information in the file allocation table so that you can't see it. Therefore, it's still on the drive, and you have a chance to regain it. However, to recover permanently deleted files in Windows 11 better, you need to take the following steps:
- 📥 To avoid overwriting removed items, please do not perform any write operations on the hard disk or partition where the deleted items are saved.
- 🛠️ To avoid destroying remnants of the lost file, please do not use utilities to defragment, format, or repartition the disk.
- ⏰ Take action as soon as possible, and you know that the chances of file loss increase over time.
Don't let deleted items put a roadblock in your path; with these tips in mind, you can quickly undelete files in Windows 11 and go on your way!
How to Restore Permanently Deleted Files on Windows 11 Free
For those who have accidentally deleted important files in Windows 11, it can be quite a worrying experience. Thankfully, there are ways to recover deleted files in Windows 11 free. This section entails six methods to find data that has been permanently removed, so dive in !!
Ways 1. Use the "Undo Delete" Option to Undelete Files on Windows 11
With the launch of Windows 11, users will finally have a convenient and useful feature - the ability to undo file deletions. It will surely be a welcome improvement for many users who have frequently deleted files due to a del key or mouse click. It allows you to undo this action if you have accidentally deleted something important in Windows 11.
- Go to the location where you deleted the file.
- Right-click and select "Undo Delete."
This Windows 11 undelete method is proper when you accidentally delete a file/folder without doing anything else (reboot, copy, paste, etc.).
Ways 2. Find Deleted Items from Recycle Bin in Windows 11
The Windows Recycle Bin is a valuable tool when it comes to filing management. It serves as a holding place for deleted files, providing users with an easy way to find them in the event of accidentally deleting them.
- First, open the "Recycle Bin" by right-clicking on the icon on your desktop.
- In the window that opens, check your deleted items and select the ones you need.
- Finally, right-click and tap on the "Restore" button to retrieve files deleted from recycle bin on Windows 11.
It only works if there is no recycle bin. If you cleaned it up without a backup, go to part three to recover deleted files from recycle bin after emptying in Windows 11.
Ways 3. Recover Permanently Deleted Files in Windows 11 using CMD
If you accidentally deleted some items, don't panic. By running specific CMD commands, users can scan for traces of the once-lost data and restore them to the same folder or another location of choice. However, this Windows 11 recover deleted files process requires some computer knowledge. Let's start here.
- Navigate to the "Start Menu" and type cmd in the search bar.
- Now tap on "Run as administrator" to run the command prompt.
- Type attrib -h -r -s /s /d drive letter:\*.*" and Enter.
- Wait for progress to complete. You can go to the location of the deleted files to check the recovered data.
This method is effective to restore corrupted files in Windows 11, 10, and 7. For accidental deletions, it may take luck!
Ways 4. Undelete Windows 11 by Previous Version
"Previous Versions" is a feature in File Explorer and part of Volume shadow. It creates copies of the drive/folder based on different points in time. Thus, it allows you to roll back changes. If you delete important files by mistake, then you can use it to recover permanently deleted files in Windows 11 free.
- Select the folder/drive where your data was lost, right-click and select the "Properties" option.
- Click the "Previous Versions" tab in a pop-up window.
- Select the folder versions and click on "Restore/Restore To..." to get your deleted files back.
This Windows 11 file recovery method only works if you enable "File History" or create a shadow copy in "Task Scheduler" before deleting the file.
Ways 5. Recover Deleted Files on Windows 11 Using File History
A fifth solution is to use the Windows PC's built-in backup tool - File History, which keeps track of changes made to files and folders on your computer over time. It can help you retrieve permanently deleted files in windows 11, and even access items created several months ago.
- Click the "Search" icon and type "Restore your files with file history".
- Click the "Open button on the results page.
- You will see the File history records, just navigate to each of these using your cursor.
- Select your lost files
- Tap on the "Restore" Button, your deleted files will be restored back to their original location.
This method works on you have enabled the "Back up using File History" option in Settings > Update & Security > Backup.
Ways 6. Restore Deleted Files in Windows 11 by System Backup
Windows PC has a built-in Backup and Restore (Windows 7) option that creates an ISO image of all the data on your hard disk. When you have a problem with the drive or the system cannot start, it can reset them to a previous version, including the system, programs, and personal files. So when you accidentally delete files, you can use it to restore deleted files in Windows 11.
- Go to Settings > System > Recovery and tap "Restart now" under Advanced Startup.
- Click "Restart." After waiting for a while, click Troubleshoot > Startup Repair > System Image Recovery on the screen.
- Choose the "Use the latest available system image" radio box and click "Next" to start the restore process.
- After the process is complete, you can go to the location of the deleted files to check the restored items.
What if the methods described above do not help you with Windows 11 undelete files for free? In this case, we strongly advise using Windows 11 data recovery tools, which will still work without backups. Let's jump to the next part and see which tool is best and how to get them back.
How to Recover Permanently Deleted Files in Windows 11 with Software
Getting back files deleted on Windows 11 without a backup can be daunting. However, with the help of specialized software, by utilizing the deep scanning technologies available in these programs, you can restore deleted files not in recycle bin in Windows 11.
Ways 1. Use iBeesoft Data Recovery Software
iBeesoft Data Recovery is an excellent tool for anyone who needs to recover data from computers and other devices. One-click can quickly scan different storage media, like hard drives and memory cards. Furthermore, it also has defragmentation technology to repair damaged items. This Windows 11 file recovery software is one of the best choices when faced with unforeseen data loss.
Your Best Software for Recover Permanently Deleted Files in Windows 11
- The best way to recover shift deleted files in Windows 11/10/8/7.
- Restore deleted files from an external hard drive, disk, USB flash drive, SD card, and more.
- It can also retrieve files lost due to emptied Recycle Bin, formatting, virus tools, drive corruption, etc.
- Download and install the best data recovery software for Windows 11 on your PC.
- After running it, click the "go to the setting" to cancel unwanted file types.
- Choose "Select Folder" to specify a scan location. If you are not sure, you can also select the entire drive to scan.
- Once the scanning is done, you can preview all the found files. And then select the ones you need and click the "Recover" button to save them.
Ways 2. Use TestDisk
TestDisk is an open-source data recovery program for recovering lost volumes and files, even when the partition structure on a hard disk has been damaged. But, it has no user interface, which makes many users unable to get started.
- Download TestDisk and run it.
- Navigate to Advanced > Your Disk > Undelete
- Select the deleted file in the resulting page and hit "C."
- Finally, choose a location to save them.
Ways 3. Use Microsoft's File Recovery Tool
Windows File Recovery is a command line-based app that can help you rescue essential items that have been lost or accidentally deleted. If you know DOS commands, then you can easily use it to recover permanently deleted files in Windows 11.
- Get this Windows 11 deleted file recovery tool from Microsoft's official website.
- Run it and type winfr C: E: /n \Users\Username\Documents\2023.pdf. It will restore the 2023.pdf under the Documents folder on drive C and save it to drive E.
- Finally, open drive E to check the recovered deleted files.
That's all solutions about how to recover permanently deleted files in Windows 11. We hope the above-highlighted methods will help you to get back your files easily.
Tips for Avoid Data Loss in Windows 11
Files loss can be a huge setback for any computer user, so it's vital to protect your data in advance when using Windows 11. Here, you can take several preventative measures to keep those all-important documents and digital memories safe and secure.
- 🎏 Firstly, consider using File History to replicate essential files regularly, which will help you prevent their loss in the event of accidental deletion, computer malfunction, or malicious attack.
- 📤 Secondly, a secure cloud storage solution is another great option for keeping your files safe.
- ⚙️ Additionally, maintaining up-to-date security updates and protective measures like antivirus software is crucial for protecting against potential threats.
- 🔒 Finally, you should also consider encrypting sensitive or important data so that only those with access can view it.
With these tips in mind, you'll be well on your way to avoiding data loss in Windows 11.
If you have any further queries about recovering permanently deleted files in Windows 11, please see the FAQs section below.
When you permanently delete an item, it disappears from our view. However, it has not been erased, and the system just cleared its index information, so we cannot see it. In fact, it is still physically there on the hard disk. So, you can use data recovery software to get it back.
When you delete files on your PC, they will go to the Recycle Bin. You can find them there. If you press shift+delete to remove an item, it will not appear in the recycle bin. Don't worry; you can also use iBeesoft Data Recovery to recover shift deleted files in Windows 11.
No problem. Suppose you don't keep saving new data on the system disk. You can use data recovery programs such as iBeesoft Data Recovery, Recuva, or R-Studio to recover recycle bin deleted files in Windows 11.
Recently deleted files in Windows 11 are temporarily stored in the Recycle Bin. If you regret it, you can restore them to their original location from Recycle Bin. If your deleted items are not there, you can still rely on iBeesoft data recovery software to get them back.
If you backed them up using File History, you could restore them from the backup. If you have not done so, then you only with the help of recovery tools to recover permanently deleted files in Windows 11.
First, you can check to see if they are in the Recycle Bin. If not, then you can also use free data recovery software for Windows 11 to find them. Here are the detailed steps:
- Download and install iBeesoft Free Data Recovery on your Windows 11.
- Launch it and select a drive to start scanning.
- Check the recovered files through the file tree on the left.
- Select your deleted files and click Recover to save them.
Recovering permanently deleted files in Windows 11 can seem daunting, but it doesn't have to be. With the right tools and some guidance, you can often retrieve deleted photos, documents, videos, and more that were accidentally erased or lost due to an error or software malfunction.
With this article, you should be able to get back your accidentally deleted items on Windows 11. Finally, to prevent such a disaster from happening again, you can follow our advice to keep your important data safe.