How to Delete Duplicate Files Free in Windows 11/10
Duplicate items aren't helpful and hamper your system's functioning in many ways. For example, the files gum up the system. Having various duplicate files residing in most folders makes it a daunting task to look for one correct folder when you need it the most.
Moreover, such duplicate files you have created unintentionally take up a large part of the disk space. As a result, it bogs down your PC if you are exhausted from dealing with duplicate folders and files, resulting in mismanagement.
This article is the perfect guide to acquaint you with different yet simple ways to delete duplicate files. All the methods mentioned below here are safe for every user. It's the best alternative to delete duplicate files free in Windows 11/10.
- Quick Navigation
- Part 1. What are Duplicate Items, and Why Do They Exist on Your Device?
- Part 2. Why do We Want to Delete Duplicate Files?
- Part 3. 3 Ways to Delete Duplicate Files on a PC for Free
- Part 4. Comparison of the Free Remove Duplicate Items Ways
- Part 5. Tips for Preventing Duplicate Files from Accumulating on Your Computer or Other Device in the Future
Part 1. What are Duplicate Items, and Why Do They Exist on Your Device?
Two files containing the same data are duplicates, even if you have named them differently. For example, the duplicate files are saved in the same name as your original file having different numerals (1,2,3). You might have wondered how such duplicate files exist on your PC. The answer is simple:
- 📥 Downloading the same document twice;
- 🏜️ Sync photos and videos to different folders;
- 🗂️ Forgetting to remove files from your original folder;
- 🔰 Backup of the same documents twice;
- 📰 Relocation of files with cut, copy and paste method.
Part 2. Why do We Want to Delete Duplicate Files?
How operating systems and apps create duplicate files may or may not damage your system. Hence, it is excellent to avoid such files and delete them if you find them. Below are a few severe reasons why you should remove duplicate files in Windows 10, 11, and more:
- 📈 Duplicate Files occupied half of your disk space;
- 🚫 It strikes a considerable difference when you create data backups;
- 🗃️ Messes up the file organization;
- ⌛ Delay the process of finding your required files.
Part 3. 3 Ways to Delete Duplicate Files on a PC for Free
To remove duplicate files in Windows 11/10 free, you can follow two ways: using the exact file removal tools or a manual search process. Next, we'll show you how to use them to remove duplicates.
Ways 1. Use Search to Find and Delete Duplicate Files Manually
Windows Explorer offers the search feature to users in case they remember any prior information about their files name. This method is feasible for users who know which file & the duplicates they are searching for. Follow the step-by-step guide below to apply the technique.
- To look for your files in Windows, go to File Explorer.
- You will see the address bar at the right part, besides the search bar is located.
- Enter your file extension to find your required files in the search bar.
- A list will appear having the mentioned file names. Scroll through the list. Look for your file.
- : After finding the duplicate file, remove it by the delete option.
Ways 2. Use iBeesoft Duplicate File Finder to Remove Duplicate Items for Free
If your PC consists of sensitive data, you may be eager to know the quickest way to delete duplicate files and folders so that none can find them. That's where the iBeesoft Duplicate File Finder tool can help you quickly.
This software is popularly used to delete duplicate files in Windows 11/10 free. It properly scans the hard drive to find all the duplicate files stored in your system. You can eliminate them with a single click. The functionality is feasible for external and internal disks, USB thumb drives, etc. Know how to use this tool through the steps below:
- Download and install iBeesoft Duplicate File Finder on your system.
- Tap on the '+' icon on your screen.
- Select a folder or disk to scan for duplicates.
- After scanning is complete, It will select all duplicate files automatically.
- Open them serially to preview. Tap on the 'Remove' icon to wipe all the same files.
On your screen, a progress percentage will appear to let you know the status of the process. This method is highly effective and reliable for users.
Ways 3. Use CCleaner to Delete Duplicate Files in Windows 11/10 Free
CCleaner software is designed to remove all unwanted files such as junk files on PC. It is available for Windows and Mac users. Its in-built features are accessible and offer all the benefits a reliable duplicate file finder tool should have. Go through the steps below:
- Download and install the CCleaner.
- Launch the software and navigate to Tools > Duplicate Finder.
- Look for the options and select as per your requirements, then tap "Search."
- Select all the files that need to remove. To ensure safe deletion, check for the important in your original folder to make sure you are eliminating duplicate ones.
- Press "Delete" to successfully remove duplicate files in Windows 10, 11, 8, etc.
Part 4. Comparison of the Free Remove Duplicate Items Ways
Although all the above three ways can help you delete duplicate pictures, videos, or other files from your PC for free, they have different properties. Now, we will show you their pros and cons. It is convenient for you to choose better.
- Deduplication Rate
- Search Method
- Preview Duplicate Files
- Delete Method
- Full Version Price
- Manual Search
- You are expected to examine every folder and file separately on every partition, making it inconvenient and time-consuming.
- Put in recycle bin
- iBeesoft Duplicate File Finder
- Automatic search and intelligent selection of duplicates
- Put in recycle bin
- Automatic search
- Permanently deleting may result in the loss of essential data.
By comparison, the free duplicate file finder for Windows 11, 10, 8, and 7 facilitates the deleted duplicate files speedily with complete transparency and security. Therefore, your best option is the third-party tools to locate and remove duplicate files on a PC. Finally, iBeesoft Duplicate File Finder searches and deletes way more intelligently.
Part 5. Tips for Preventing Duplicate Files from Accumulating on Your Computer or Other Device in the Future
The primary motive for ensuring an efficient file management system is to focus on whether you can find all your essential files without hassle. That means the presence of no duplicate files. Some tips to help you are listed below:
- 📁 Maintain a single place for all necessary documents.
- 🗳️ Creating folders following a logical hierarchy.
- 📅 Organize your files as per the month, year, or category.
- 🔧 Eliminate every duplicate file with the help of a tool.
- 💽 During copying data from various sources, a glance may save you from duplicate files.
- 📚 Make sure to copy all new files to any different folder, further comparing them with old files to identify duplicates.
Hopefully, this information cleared your doubts about how duplicate files can creep into your system and hamper its functioning. Along with the ways you can delete duplicate files for free in Windows 11/10/8/7. Use your desired method to remove such trash from your PC.
Yes, two files with the same content, like photos, videos, music, etc., are called duplicate files. So you can delete one of them.
You can open the file to check for duplicates. But this will take a lot of time. We recommend you to use iBeesoft Duplicate File Finder, click "+," and select a folder to scan and remove duplicate files.
Without duplicate file remover, Windows only has some built-in system tools. If you want to clear duplicate files in Windows 10/11, then you can use iBeesoft Duplicate File Finder to help you.
- Download and install iBeesoft Duplicate File Finder.
- Launch it and choose a location to scan.
- Preview found duplicate files.
- Select the unwanted one to delete.
- Open the recycle bin to check and remove it altogether.
While different duplicate cleaners can help you remove duplicate files in Windows 11/10/8/7 and Mac, they have their specifics. Here, we will list five well-known tools.
- iBeesoft Duplicate File Finder
- Fast Duplicate File Finder