3 Ways for How to Recover Files from Formatted SD Card on Mac/Windows
One of the biggest nightmares that we can face is data loss. When you accidentally format your SD card, you think all the important data is lost. However, when you look up to Google regarding the recovery methods, you get a long list of solutions. While some of the recovery methods are legit, some methods are fake, and it does not help in getting data from a formatted Micro SD card. If you format a memory card, the data can be recovered. However, adding new files to the formatted SD card overwrites the previous data, and the chances of recovery lessen over time. In this article, we will list possible methods that you can use to recover files from a formatted SD card on Mac or Windows PC.
Part 1. Is Formatting Memory Card Necessary?
Many individuals think that formatting leads to data loss, which does not have important significance. But in reality, the formatting process prepares the SD card for use in an operating system. Some of the reasons why formatting is necessary are:
- The memory card capacity is displayed as 0, and it needs to be wiped again before it can be used.
- New SD cards require formatting before use.
- When the operating system is changed, formatting the disk becomes essential for storing data.
- All the different file systems are indulged in the different operating systems, which hoists the need for formatting media storage devices.
Part 2. What Happens while Formatting Your SD Card
Never regard formatting SD card like a process of erasing a piece of paper with an eraser. The formatting process is actually the computer is trying hard to create new blocks of data, using them to fill in the gap of your SD card, make the original data invisible. So, the formatted data are somewhere on your SD card, you can get them back timely before other data overwritten them. However, keep in mind that when formatting is complete, it is best not to use an SD card to save the new file to avoid overwriting the data. This may cause the recover formatted SD card to fail.
Part 3. Can You Get Back Formatted Data from SD Card?
Before jumping into the next section of the article, it is essential to answer the most common question that is raised by individuals who have formatted their SD cards. In simple terms, yes, you can restore files from formatted SD card under a certain time boundary. The more time and data you invest in the card after the formatting, the chances of recovery will go away. It is advised that you must stop using the formatted SD card for data purposes before recovering the previously formatted data for a hassle-free experience.
Part 4. How to Recover Files from Formatted SD Card
There are various recovery methods that can be used to recover data from formatted SD cards. Basically, you can use the native operating system functionality or the data recovery software to get the files from a formatted SD card. Depending upon the flexibility and ease of use, you can pick any one method from the list mentioned below.
1. How to Retrieve Files from Formatted SD Card Using CMD in Windows 11/10/8/7
Command-line is one of the best ways that you can use to find data. However, working on the command line requires knowledge of specific key codes. If you use Windows or Mac system, you can follow the steps mentioned below to recover data from a formatted SD card.
- Open the run box by holding the Windows+ R alphabet on the keyboard.
- In the search box, you have to type cmd to open the command prompt window.
- Type the command chkdsk G: /f/x/r.
- Press enter and let the process finish.
You must replace the G drive with the alphabet associated with your SD card drive.
Once the SD card formattted recovery process is finished, you will see all the lost data back in the SD card.
2. Using Command in DOS to Micro SD Card Formatted Recovery for Free
Note: Unformat command can restore the SD card that has been formatted completely. However, if new data is written to the drive after the format, then the command can’t resume the whole formatted memory card files. After all, unformat command is not almighty. It will rebuild the FAT and root directory. It’s risky to lose more data if any improper operation is carried out during the unformat SD card process. If only a few files or subdirectories are deleted mistakenly, instead of using this command, UNDELETE is quite enough to get back the deleted data.
- Connect the memory card to the PC using USB.
- Keep in mind the drive letter is shown as the SD card.
- Restart your computer.
- While switching on your PC, pressing F8 will get you into the DOS interface.
- Type the unformat <drive letter>：/J /L /TEST /U /partn command in the DOS.
This command is used in DOS and cannot be used in the Command Prompt (cmd). Therefore, it requires you to have basic computer knowledge. If you don't understand the text steps very well, you can also check out this video tutorial to recover a formatted SD card.
Once the process is finished, after starting your computer, you will find the erased files in their original location.
3. Restore Files from Formatted SD Card on Mac/Windows Using Software
The best memory card recovery tools are one of the effectively methods to recover lost files from formatted SD card. It can repair the logical links that are destroyed in the process of formatting. Using it is one of the safest and easiest methods to restore data. All the applications access the SD cards in the read-only mode and do not have any external complications. The formatted SD card recovery program also allows users to resume specific files like photos, music, and videos.
One of the best software that you can use to recover data from memory card after formatting is the iBeesoft Data Recovery. It gives complete control to users while getting lost files. The three-step process ensures that the entire process is hassle-free. The steps to find erased files with iBeesoft are:
- Connect the SD card to the computer system.
- Download and install iBeesoft Data Recovery on your PC.
- launch the best software for data recovery from formatted SD card.
- Select the Micro SD card from the software main window, and click on the "Scan" button.
- Once the scan is finished, all the available results will appear on the screen.
- Choose all the files you want to recover from the formatted SD card and click "Recover".
- Select the new location to store the recovered files from the new window.
- Click OK in order to confirm and finish the process.
Part 5. How to Keep Your SD Card Safe?
the memory card is easy to carry anywhere you go and can be easily used with mobile phones and computers. However, it isn’t a secure place to store your data. It is easy to corrupt and lost. Some ways are there following which you can keep your SD card safe and secure. Some of the safety tips that you can use to protect your SD card are:
- Backup Data: It is essential to back up data and secure the SD card from unwanted data loss. You can manually backup the data using third-party software, cloud storage, or native system transfer.
- Run Anti-Virus Software: Sometimes, the SD card is attacked with a virus or malware, which again leads to data loss. You can use trusted anti-virus software to keep your SD card safe.
- Eject SD Card Properly: Many individuals directly unplug the SD card, which leads to SD card raw issue. You must develop the habit of always ejecting the SD card to avoid any data in the process.
Since the demand for SD cards is extensively increasing, the cases of data loss are also increasing due to accidental formatting. While you can implement the command line or Terminal for data recovery, third-party software can be an easy bet. You can follow specific steps and get your formatted data back.
Part 6. Frequently Asked Question for Data Recovery from Formatted Micro SD Card
Q. How To Recover Specific Files From Formatted SD Card?
You can get specific files back using third-party format recovery software such as iBeesoft Data Recovery. Before the scan starts, you can click "Go to setting" to filter specific files and choose the desired file type like photos, music, and videos.
Q. How to Restore SD Card To Orignal Size Without Deleting Files?
You can restore the SD card to the original size without deleting files by creating a backup of the files. The formatting process removes all the data. You can manually copy the data and paste it into your system or use software and cloud storage to create a data backup.
Q: How do I fix a formatted SD card?
What do you mean by "fix"? If you want to retrieve the lost files due to the formatting, you should make use of backup files. If not, try iBeesoft Data Recovery to rescue SD card.
Q. Is iBeesoft Data Recovery Compatible with Mac?
Yes, iBeesoft supply with Windows and Mac data recovery software. The three-step process to recover data from formatted SD card on Mac remains the same.