How to Recover Unsaved/Deleted WPS Document in Computer/Android
WPS Office is a comprehensive office productivity suite developed by Kingsoft that includes word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, PDF conversion, and more. It can also display all the opened files side-by-side, making it relatively easy for users to edit and modify. Overall, It is an excellent choice for anyone needing an office productivity suite fully compatible with Microsoft Office and comes with a few extra features.
Although WPS Office is easy to use, we may encounter the following problems in the process of using it, causing the files not to be saved in time, damaged, or disappear.
- 💢 The WPS file was not properly saved, like the application crashed, the computer suddenly shut down, the exit without saving, and more.
- ⚠️ You saved the item to a remote server or cloud storage location that is currently unavailable.
- ⛔ You clicked the wrong button, and another document overwrote the current WPS file.
- 😂 Accidental deletion, formatting of the drive, virus attack, etc., causes it to disappear.
Whatever the cause, a lost, corrupt, or unsaved WPS document can be a significant inconvenience. Fortunately, you can try the following ways to recover WPS file on a PC or Android as soon as possible.
- Quick Navigation
- Part 1. How to Recover Unsaved WPS Document
- Part 2. How to Restore Previous Versions of WPS Files
- Part 3. How to Retrieve Corrupted/Lost/Deleted WPS Files in Computer
- Part 4. How to Recover Unsaved/Deleted Files from WPS Office in Android
- Part 5. How to Enable Backup WPS Documents to Prevent Data Loss
- Part 6. Frequently Asked Questions for WPS File Recovery
How to Recover Unsaved WPS Document
It can be incredibly frustrating to lose work you have put hours into, especially if it is not saved. While it may seem like there is no hope, you can try a few things if you need to recover unsaved files from the WPS office in Android/computer.
1. How to WPS recover unsaved file from the Pop-up
Have you ever worked on a document for hours only to have the program/system crash and lose all your unsaved work? Don't worry and there might be a pop-up after you relaunch the WPS office software, especially if there is any error in the WPS software. In this case, you can quickly recover file in WPS without premium. The steps are simple:
- Launch the WPS office and wait a moment to see whether there is a pop-up.
- If there is, click the "Upload now" button to reopen your unsaved WPS file.
- Hit "Ctrl+S" to re-save it.
Tip: this method is also applicable to recover unsaved Word document in Microsoft Office, but it appears in the left panel of the interface.
2. How to Recover Unsaved Files in WPS Office from Backup Management
If WPS exits unexpectedly, and there is no pop-up, you can use the "Backup Management" to find the unsaved WPS file.
- Launch the WPS software and open a file.
- Click the "Menu" option and navigate to "Backup and Recovery" > "Auto Backup."
- After clicking "Local/Cloud Backup" in the new window, you can see all automatically saved documents, spreadsheets, and presentations in the right panel.
- Find your unsaved WPS file and double-click it.
- After opening the target file, select the "Save" option in the menu to save it.
3. Check WPS Recent Option
If WPS Office did not close unexpectedly and you saved the project, the above methods still can't help you recover unsaved WPS document. Then it is very likely that you saved it to a new location, causing the file you thought was correct not to retain your changes. Therefore, after you open the software, check whether there is the file you need under the "Recent" option.
How to Restore Previous Versions of WPS Files
Have you ever made changes to a WPS file, only to realize later that you should have kept the previous version? If so, you're lucky: restoring earlier versions of WPS files is very easy. Here's how:
1. From History Versions in WPS Office
- Open your WPS file, and move the mouse to the title bar at the top of the interface. After waiting for a few seconds, select "View Version History" in the prompt window.
- In the pop-up window, select the version you need according to the time.
- Finally, click on the preview option, and WPS Office will open it. Then you can save this version according to your needs.
2. Check Your Backup Files on Windows/Mac
The following method of restoring older versions of WPS files requires you to enable the Windows/macOS built-in backup option to work. Specific steps are as follows:
for Windows 11/10/7
- Open the location where you saved the WPS file, right-click, and select "Restore previous versions."
- Select the version you want to restore in the folder Versions and click "Restore."
- Connect your backup external drive to your Mac and turn on Time Machine.
- Select the corresponding WPS file version according to the timeline and click "Restore."
How to Retrieve Corrupted/Lost/Deleted WPS Files in Computer
After accidentally removing WPS files, you can easily get them back from Recycle Bin. But if you delete it using Shift+Del, empty the recycle bin or format the drive resulting in a loss of WPS files. For this, the most efficient and quickest way to recover WPS files is to use the data recovery program. Here, you can use iBeesoft Data Recovery, one of the most popular and reliable software for retrieving lost, deleted, and corrupted WPS files on Windows PC and Mac.
Your Safe & Effective WPS File Recovery Tool
- Compared with other programs, this software can find and repair corrupted WPS documents efficiently, making the recovered WPS documents openable.
- Simple interface with built-in navigation, friendly for users.
- It can also recover deleted files from a USB drive, SD card, Pendrive, disk, and more.
Step to Recover WPS File on Mac/Windows PC
- Download and install this WPS data recovery software on your computer first.
- Launch it, choose the lost WPS location and click "Scan" to recover permanently deleted files in Windows 11, 10, 7, or macOS.
- After the software finish scanning, you can see all found files. Select one and click the "Preview" button to check the content.
- When finding the lost or deleted WPS files, select them and click "Recover" to save them on your PC.
How to Recover Unsaved/Deleted Files from WPS Office in Android
If you are working on your WPS Office file and get the document deleted or lost on an Android device, you can try recovery software for Android phone to retrieve it. For this, MobiSaver for Android Free can help you, which is capable of recovering any popular data type.
- Run it on your PC and connect the Android phone to it with a UBS cable.
- After scanning is complete, all your Android files will be listed in specific data types. Click "Documents," and then you will be able to view the detailed information of each file on the right window.
- Finally, select all the WPS documents you want to retrieve and click the "Recover" button to save them.
How to Enable Backup WPS Documents to Prevent Data Loss
Losing work done can be very frustrating. Here, you can use the WPS cloud service or local backup settings to automatically back up WPS documents, preventing unsaved documents from being lost.
- ⛱️ Enable AutoSave in WPS Document Locally: WPS Office allows you to enable the autosave option to customize the saving interval to prevent file loss. You need go to Menu > Options > General and Save. In the Recover and Options, you can see backup options, tick the checkboxes and save time gap. That's it!
- 📶 Use WPS Cloud to Back Up Files: File Roaming is a feature for WPS users. Once a file is created, it will be saved in the WPS cloud, letting users view and edit it on different computers, Android phones, or iOS devices after logging in with the same account. It's an option to prevent unsaved WPS issues. For this, you need open WPS Office and click on Sign in on the top to log in with your account. If you still need an account, you can create one or log in with your FB, Google, or Twitter account. Once logged in, the file roaming feature is automatically enabled. After creating files and closing them, you can find them next time by launching the WPS software > going to Office Tab > File Roaming.
If you do not like to save essential files in the WPS cloud or reject the built-in backup option is not safe. Then you can also use iBeesoft Dbackup to regularly back up the local WPS documents. Overall, following this measure should keep your WPS files safe.
Frequently Asked Questions for WPS File Recovery
If you've accidentally deleted a WPS file or lost access to it due to software going wrong, one of your first questions is probably, "how to recover file in WPS without premium? how to recover unsaved WPS document? or how to recover WPS file?" Here are some answers to frequently asked questions that may help.
A: Go to the office tab > Options > General and Options. From there, you can see the destination.
A: WPS Office has a built-in file repair option. If your WPS file is displayed as garbled or unreadable, you can go to Menu > Backup and Recovery > Files Repair and follow the wizard to complete the repair work.
A: WPS Office has built-in automatic recovery options like Microsoft Office. You can click "Menu" > "Options" > "General and Save" to set the auto-save time.
A: No, they are provided by different developers. But it is fully compatible with Microsoft Office files. WPS Office has various features that make it a more robust and versatile tool than Microsoft Office. For example, the suite includes a built-in PDF converter that makes it easy to save documents as PDFs, and it also supports cloud storage so you can access your files from anywhere. Overall, WPS Office is an excellent alternative to Microsoft Office for those who want to save money.
A: How to recover WPS file entirely depends on whether you have a backup or not.
*If you have enabled autosave in WPS, you can go to file > Options > General and Options > find where the autosave address is. Try your luck to see whether you can recover unsaved WPS document.
*If you have enabled file roaming in WPS, log in with your account and click the office tab > file walking to find the file there.
*The worst situation is that you haven't had a backup file at all, and you haven't enabled file roaming. In this case, you must use Windows or Mac data recovery software to recover deleted WPS files.
Whatever the cause, dealing with lost WPS files can be a frustrating experience. But you can recover unsaved, deleted, or previous versions of WPS Files WPS documents in Android/Windows/Mac by the methods provided in this article. With a little luck, you'll be able to retrieve your lost work and continue where you left off.