How to Recover Temporary Word Files in Windows 11/10/7
Temporary files contain all the information you're editing on a Word doc. Whenever this is an abrupt shutdown or power off, the temp file will be saved automatically. It is very helpful for recovering Word doc. The Word temporary files can be in different file extensions, like .tmp, .wbk, .asd, and more. Here in the following, we're going to talk about how to find word files from a temp in case you encounter a similar situation.
Where is the Word temporary files location in Windows 11/10/7? To find temp Word files, please find where it is. To be honest, I knew files were there only when I try the software to clean my computer. Actually, temp files are on your computer. You can make full use of the search feature in Windows to find them. After then, you can find temporary files in Word. Here are the steps:
How to Find Temporary Word Files
- Click to open "My Computer" or "Computer". On the top right search box.
- Please enter "temp" and click Enter.
- In the search result list, you can see all the recent temporary files. They may have the same name or similar name as the original files.
- Find the word temp you want to resume. Please remember its location and close the search results.
- After then, you can click to open Microsoft Word. Find and click the "Office tab" on the top left and click "Open".
- Next, select "All Files" in the "File of Type", navigate to the temp file and open it.
- Follow the wizard as it tells and saves the Word document on your computer by clicking "Save As" to recover temporary word files.
If you’re lucky, you can find temporary word files in windows 10, Windows 7, and Windows 11 easily. If not, do not try to retrieve the word temp file, you need to get the lost or deleted Word documents back directly. The sooner the better. Otherwise, you may lose the word files permanently.
If you have enabled AutoSave in Microsoft office, then the Word temporary files saved in AppData > Roaming > Microsoft > Word or Office folder > UnsavedFiles. You can use the temporary files to recover unsaved Word docs.
- Create and open a blank Word doc.
- Click on File > Info > Document Management.
- By doing this, you will see "Recover Unsaved Documents". From there, browse "UnsavedFiles" folder.
- Select a file from the folder and click "Open". When an alert pop-ups, click "Save As" to save the doc.
If you do not see "UnsavedFiles" folder, then go to AppData > Roaming > Microsoft > Word. The temporary files saved there too. However, they're not editable. Copy them to a new folder before trying to open them with a Word doc.
If you want to recover word from temp files in Windows 11/10/7/8/XP, you should try your luck. Who is able to ensure the temporary files are there for a long time. In this case, instead of recovering Word document from a temp file, you should make full use of Microsoft Word Recovery Software to find the Word document directly. It is a professional tool developed to help users to get back all kinds of files effectively, preventing any data overwritten or damage to the files. Here I’d like to recommend you iBeesoft Data Recovery. It is a trustworthy tool to do the task, helping you recover word files easily.
Best Software to Restore Word File Not from Temp, but Directly
iBeesoft Data Recovery is specially designed for users to resume all kinds of documents and media files from computer and external hard drives. It has helped thousands of users to retrieve data, including recover deleted Word documents on Mac or Windows PC. Here are some of its features:
Your Effective & Safe Word Temp File Recovery Software
- Recover all types of documents and media files, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint documents, emails, videos, pictures and more.
- Fully compatible with Windows 11/10/7/XP/Vista and macOS. It can recover permanently deleted word files lost due to deletion, formatted drive, clear recycle bin, computer crash, virus attack, etc.
- Simple interface with streamlined built-in wizard, making Word document recovery easy!!!
Here are the simple steps for how to recover Word document not from temporary files, but directly from the computer.
- Install the Word Data Recovery Software
- Select Hard Drive to Scan
- Preview and Recover Word Document
The Windows or Mac data recovery software is available to download. Click the Download button to get the trial version of the software. Install it on your computer. You can try the trial version to see whether it can find the target word documents for you or not. After then, launch it.
In the next step, you can see all the hard drives on the computer are selected. You need to select the one where once the target Word documents are. Select it and click "Scan", giving the command to let the software begins to scan for the lost Word documents.
It takes a few minutes for the software to finish the whole scanning process. After then, you can see all the found Word documents there. You can preview one by one to select the target files, and click "Recover" to save it on your computer.
Q: Where do temporary Word files get saved?
Generally, Word temporary files are saved in this path: AppData > Roaming > Microsoft > Word or Office folder > UnsavedFiles
Q:How do I recover a temporary Word file?
Open a blank Word doc and go to File > Manage Document > Recover Unsaved Documents. Next, browse and open a file from the drop-down list. After then, click "Save As" to save the doc.