How to Fix Corrupted Word Document
Word files are the documents which are used to store important documents. Whether you are just a student or a working professional, the need for word is similar to all. It is an important tool in the advanced digital world. But, there are scenarios which can lead to the corruption of the word file such as a virus, system error, or unexpected crash. Any reason can be responsible for corruption, but you need that file. So, it is important that you find a way to fix corrupted word file as soon as possible.
- Quick Navigation
- Top 5 Ways for How to Fix Corrupted Word Document
- How to Recover Deleted or Lost Word Files
How to Check whether the Word Document is Corrupted or not?
Before you declare that the word file is corrupted, you might run a proper check. To check whether the word file is corrupt or not, the user might have to perform some actions. The behavior you must check in the word files are as follows:
- If the computer stops responding when you try to open the file.
- The file shows error messages during processing.
- If the word file repeatedly renumbers the already existing pages in the document.
- It is redoing the page breaks of the document repeatedly.
- The formatting and layout are incorrect even after you change it.
- It is showing some unreadable characters on the screen.
There are also some other things that can be suspected as the corruption of the word file. So, how do you fix a corrupted word file? You will find the answer, just keep reading the article.
Top 5 Ways for How to Fix Corrupted Word Document
There won’t be a user who would say that they have never searched on how to fix corrupted word files. And if you are one of them, we are providing some methods that you can try to fix the corrupted word files properly.
Method 1. How to Fix Corrupted Documents in Word
- In MS Word, click on File on the Ribbon, and then click Open.
- In the Open dialog box, select the word document which is corrupted. You just have to click on the word document and it will be highlighted in the box.
- Now in the box which says open, click on the arrow and you will see an option which says Open and Repair.
The damaged file will be repaired but if the problem still persists then don’t worry, you can st5ill use the other methods to repair word document in the article.
Method 2. Copy Document in a new File except for the Last Paragraph
- At first, create a new document. Just go to the Ribbon and click on New and create a new Blank Document.
- Open the damaged/corrupted document and copy the contents of the document until the last paragraph.
- Paste the contents of the corrupted file into the new file you created in step 1. This will fix a corrupted word.
In case the corrupted documents contain section breaks, then only copy the content before the section break otherwise the same error will occur in the new document.
Method 3. Change Document format and Save to Word Later
- Open word, and in the Ribbon, click on the Open button and select the corrupted file.
- After you open the file, again go to the Ribbon and select the Save As option and click on Other Formats.
- In the file type, select the Rich Text Format (*.rtf or *.txt) and save the file and then close it.
- Now go the new RTF file and again select the Save as an option and select the Word document format and rename the file and save it.
- Now you have to verify that the strange behavior of the file does not exist anymore.
Method 4. Use Recover Text from Any File Method
- In the word, click on the File Menu and select open.
- In the type of files, option selects the Recover Text from Any File option.
- Now select the document you want to fix and then click on open.
- After the document is recovered by the Recover Text from Any File converter, there would be some binary data in the starting and end of the file. Make sure that you delete that binary text before you save the file.
There is a drawback of using this method. All the formatting of the file will be lost during conversion and recovery.
Method 5. Troubleshoot Method
If you still haven’t found a way on how to repair corrupted word file, then it is time that you use the troubleshooting method to fix the document. Follow the steps mentioned below:
- Open the document in word. Click on the File menu and select options.
- In the options click on Add-Ins. In the Add-Ins, choose the Templates option in the View and Manage Office Add-Ins in the Manage Box and click on Go.
- The templates which are being used will be listed in the Document Template Box. Check the list and if there is a template named as Normal.dotm. Click on the template to open it.
- Click on Ok to close the Templates and Add-Ins dialog box and exit word.
- Now you have to verify that this method fixes the corrupted word file. In a word, click on Ribbon and then options and open the corrupted word file.
In none of the methods are working for you and you still have the risk that you are going to lose your word file, then you can opt for another method to recover word document on Mac or Windows which is iBeesoft Data Recovery
How to Restore Deleted or Lost Word Files
The iBeesoft Data recovery software can also be used for the recovery of lost or deleted word files. To fix corrupted word doc, you only have to access the software and perform some simple and easy steps and you will have an error-free word file. The iBeesoft has provided an easy interface to make the recovery process fast and efficient. The Microsoft Word document recovery software is capable of recovering the files which are deleted or lost during formatting, hard drive corruption, virus attack, or any other malware.
Your Effective & Safe Word Recovery Tool
- Recover Deleted Files on Mac or Windows: It will rescue the files which are deleted by accident and are also emptied from Trash Bin.
- Formatted Drive Recovery: It provides recovery from the formatted hard drive/partition, SD card, USB drive, or any external device.
- RAW Drive Recovery: It can also get back RAW file which shows that displays as RAW or 'Media/Drive is not formatted, would you like to format now?'
- Partition Recovery: The users can restore the data which is lost due to partition and is deleted, hidden or inaccessible by the user.