How to Recover An Overwritten or Replaced Word Document
Sometimes as a user, we accidentally overwrite a Word document, which is not a new problem. It may occur when you try to save a Word file with the same name and ignore warnings given by your system. For example, you may accidentally tap the replace button and suddenly realize that your older file version is gone.
So we're here to help you out on how to recover an overwritten or replaced Word document with the help of multiple solutions. Depending on your situation, you can go for any of them.
Can You Recover Any Word documents that Were Overwritten or Replaced?
An overwritten Word document is something that has added or changed information unavailable in the original document. For example, you can consider that you wrote a Word document discussing your country's economy. Then, you select all the data, replace it with the new one, and save it with the same name as earlier, which will overwrite your word file.
So the question arises whether you can recover replaced Word documents in Windows 11, 10, and Mac. Well, the relaxing answer is. Yes, you can. You can use a tool for backup, get it back from cloud backups, or go for data recovery software for a higher chance of recovery.
7 Overwritten or Replaced Document Recovery Solutions
In case you've to recover a previous version of a Word document in Windows 11/10 that overwrites with a new matter, you can follow the given steps:
- Try opening Windows Explorer and locate the folder that has the saved file.
- Now locate the white space and right-click on the same to tap on Properties.
- You will be able to see a menu where you can make a selection of tabs for previous versions of the file that got overwritten. Alternatively, you can use the File menu with the Manage Document feature.
- Then you can go ahead with right-clicking the document and making a section of Properties. Locate Previous versions and select the version you want to restore. Then tap on Restore.
If you are a Windows user with access to an activated option for backup, it will be easier to get the file's previous version. For this, you can make a new Word file with the same name as it was for the lost one.
- Applicable Scenarios:
- You can use this method on both Mac and Windows to recover overwritten Word documents. The previous version feature works on both devices well with multiple restore points for recovery, including File History.
- Often, you cannot locate files for the previous version of your Word doc as your Windows device has not created an automatic backup for the same. You can use the feature of 'File history' for this purpose.
You can locate the Control Panel and System and Security to prevent this situation. Then tap on the option of 'save backup copies of your files with File History. Then, on the next screen, you can turn the File history on.
While working on Word files, you may find that as a default option program for MS office has created temporary files as a backup option. Along with this, there is an option for AutoRecover, and if it's activated, you will find that the temp files will be unable to overwrite the previous files. Instead, it will enable you to successfully restore your Word file's previous version.
- For Windows 11, 10, and 8, you can go ahead by typing the command for finding the temp files: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\UnsavedFiles\
- For Windows 7, you can use the command: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\
Note: You can use this simple and effective way to recover your overwritten Word files in Windows 11/10/8/7 anytime. It does not require any expertise as well. However, you must remember that if a power outage occurs and you are working on a Word doc, it will overwrite with memory's latest data.
Suppose you are a Microsoft 365 subscriber and want to recover replaced Word files on Mac or Windows PC. The easiest way is to open the file in Microsoft Word and select the file name on the title bar. Then, click the "Browse Version History" option > choose a version you need to re-save.
Now recover an earlier version of your Word file through the "version history" when the file saves in the SharePoint library.
- Open the library by reaching the "Quick Launch Bar."
- If the library list doesn't appear, go for "Site Contents"/"View All Site Content" & select your library name.
- Right-click the area between document name & date.
- While scrolling down the "Menu," select "Version History."
- If you can't find "version history," click on the "..." Sign & then choose "Version History." The file version list will appear.
- From the "Version History," go to the version you need & on the right side, get the options list & go for "Down Arrow."
- Next, go to " Restore" & "Ok".
If you're using a Mac OS X and want to recover overwritten Word document on Mac, then you'll be glad to know that you've got the edge over users of Windows devices. With Mac, it just gets more accessible by using the feature of activated Time Machine. You can go ahead by finding the folder containing the overwritten file in 'Finder.'
Once you are successful at finding it, make a selection of the file's previous version from the vault of Time Machine.
OneDrive or other Cloud Backup is a great way to recover replaced Word documents or overwritten word documents without using Time Machine on Mac devices or any other facility on Windows devices. If you're lucky, you can find a history of changes you made to your file in your cloud backup. It will enable you to quickly restore the file's older version without wasting time. If you save the Workbooks on OneDrive, you can quickly to recover an overwritten Excel file.
- You must have the sync app for OneDrive installed on your device. Then you can go ahead by right-clicking on the required Word doc you want to restore to a previous version or when you did not make the changes in File Explorer.
- Then, you have to locate the Version history and select it.
- Locate the performance you need and tap on ellipses () beside them. Tap on Restore. As soon as you do so, the selected version will become the current version of your Word file.
You should use robust and interactive data recovery software if you cannot find an easy solution to your problem of getting overwritten Word documents. iBeesoft Data Recovery assists you in recovering a replaced Word document by using simple steps:
Your Safe & Effective File Recovery Software
- It helps stop the process of overwriting in time and leads to an increase in the success rate of recovery of Word or any other file.
- It helps repair files that become unreadable or corrupted in GoPro, Sony cameras, etc.
- It has a handy user interface that assists in previewing and retrieving files.
- It can recover files from a RAW drive, disk, SD card, USB drive, and more.
- You must complete the software's downloading and installation process. You can also use its free version to assist you with the successful recovery of your Word file.
- After the launching of iBeesoft software, various options for filtering the types of files are there to aid in shortening the time required for scanning. For example, from the Window's bottom section, you can tap on the 'Go to settings' button and deselect the files you do not need to scan.
- Use the start window for selecting and scanning the folder, hard drive or recycle bin and search for the lost files. iBeesoft also assists you with the recovery of SD cards, thumbnails, Android devices, etc. So you have to carry on with hovering the mouse over the desired hard Drive and go ahead with tapping on the 'Scan' button.
- Now, you can view the details of the recovered files or recoverable stuff either during or after its carried out.
- Once you can locate the recoverable files of the target, make their selection and tap on the option for 'Recover' and save them on your PC.
Various things decide where your Word file exactly goes after they get deleted. It may be the file type, your OS, or other factors, but the main thing is whether you can recover overwritten Word documents or not. For example, you can opt for recovery using previous versions or temporary files if you are a Windows user.
You may also use the Time Machine option if you are a Mac OS X user. Alternatively, you can use OneDrive or other cloud backup services for Windows and Mac devices.
The adversity of a task for recovery will depend on specific situations, but qualified Word recovery software makes your job pretty easy. For this, we recommend iBeesoft Data Recovery Software. Not only does it have an interactive user interface, but you will be in awe of its simplicity of use. It will make your experience of recovering replaced Word documents seamless.
By restoring to previous versions of Word, you can retrieve the Word document you saved.
For recovering an overwritten Word document in Windows 10, you can use One Drive or any other backup from the cloud, use temporary files, or restore to the previous version of Word.
For recovering a file replaced by another file with the same name, you can restore your Word to previous versions or convert from the restore point on the system.
Yes, you can recover previous versions of your document by tapping on 'Restore previous versions' on a right-click on a folder or file.
To go back to the previous version history in Word, you have to tap on Word file > Click on Info > Tap on version history, and the work gets done.