How to Backup and Restore PS5 Data
A lot of console users are unaware of the methods involved in ps5 backup and restore and could be disastrous if you were to ever lose your PS5 data due to corruption or any other reason. All your efforts would be lost and that can be quite a blow to any serious player.
To avoid finding yourself in such a scenario, we highly recommend that you figure out how ps5 backup and restore works and in this guide, we will tell you exactly how you can do that. For those of you who have their data backed up, but it got deleted somehow, we will share methods to restore it successfully.
- Quick Navigation
- Part 1. How to Backup PS5 Data
- Part 2. How to Recover Data Lost from PS5 External Hard Drive
- Part 3. How to Recover Lost Saved Game Data on PS5
- Part 4. Frequently Asked Questions for PS5 Backup and Restore
Part 1. How to Backup PS5 Data
There are plenty of reasons why one might want to back up their PS5 data. From the simplest reasons like saving your game progress to preparing to shift your console, every user has their own reason. If you are in a situation where you may need to move your data or if there is a risk of potentially losing it, a backup is required. Thankfully, PS5 users can back up their data easily and the console offers two different methods of doing so which we are sharing here.
Method 1: Backup PS5 Data to Cloud
If you are wondering does PS5 automatically save to the Cloud? The answer is yes and while this backup is limited in a way but still quite useful to have, especially if you care about your in-game progress. It is also the most reliable method of saving your game data and then using it in multiple places. You can use your PlayStation account to restore your progress on other PlayStations. It is also great to have your data saved when you decide to change or upgrade your PlayStation.
Other more advanced uses of this include Crossplay which is a feature that allows you to play games from other PlayStation devices like the PS4 and PS Vita or play the same game on any of the devices you have if the game is compatible on them. To make a cloud backup of your data, you need to follow these steps:
- First, you will need to make sure that your PS5 can stay connected to the internet constantly. To do this you need to go into the Settings menu and then open Power Saving > Features Available in Rest Mode > Stay Connected to the Internet. This should keep your device connected to the internet even when it is sleeping.
- Next, you will open the Settings app again and then go to Saved Data and Game/App Settings, and then select Saved Data (PS5).
- In the menu that appears next, select Sync Saved Data > Auto-Sync Saved Data.
Your PlayStation will immediately start creating a backup of your games on the cloud and sync to your most recent progress. In case you already have a cloud backup of your PS4 that you want to restore then you will need to do that manually.
Method 2: Backup PS5 Data to USB External Hard Drive
While this method also does the same thing that the previous one does, it is offline and accessible anywhere you want. However, the biggest difference here is that you can download entire games and save them on your external hard drive, not only for safekeeping but also to restore them to a new console if you ever need to do that. We all know what a huge pain it can be to download games from scratch and this backup is therefore essential for every gamer in our opinion. To create a backup ps5 backup save to USB you need to follow these steps:
- Connect a USB External Hard Drive to your PS5. This device should have sufficient storage capacity to save all your data.
- Open the Settings menu and go to System > System Software > Backup and Restore > Back Up Your PS5. In case you have multiple drives connected to your PS5 then you will see the option to select one.
- The system will now ask you to select the type of data you want to back up. Make sure you select everything you need here and do not miss anything.
- Once the data is selected, click on the next button to see the name and size of the backup file. You can also add a description to your backup if needed. Now, all you need to do is click on Back Up to begin the process. Leave the console alone as it restarts and copies files to your external hard drive.
- Once the process is complete, you will see "Backup complete" written on your screen after which your PS5 will restart and give you the option to select “OK”. Doing so will restart the console again and the ps5 backup save to the USB process is now complete.
Part 2. How to Recover Data Lost from PS5 External Hard Drive
While making a backup of your PS5 data on an external hard drive is highly prudent, it is still in no way a foolproof method. In case your drive is old or faulty, there is a chance that you will end up losing your data at some point and make it impossible to recover the ps5 backup save to a USB external drive easily. Thankfully, such a situation still does not mark the end of the world for anyone. There are still ways in which you can get back your data and we are sharing the easiest one for you here.
The best way to restore from ps5 external hard disk is to use third-party recovery software. The best option for most people in our opinion is iBeesoft free data recovery software. This is a unique tool that allows its users to recover data from external drives for free. The software also has support for almost any mainstream file format out there and your PS5 file system is also one of them. It can also let you get up to 2 GB of your data recovered completely free so you can know it is worth investing in.
To use iBeesoft Data Recovery to recover from ps5 external hard drive, you will need to follow these steps:
- Make sure that the iBeesoft Data Recovery tool is installed and running on your computer.
- Connect your backup drive to your computer via USB and wait for it to appear in the interface of the app.
- Once you see the drive, hover the mouse over it and click on the Scan button that appears next to the drive name to begin the scanning process.
- You may also click on the "Go to Settings" option at the bottom of the window to select specific types of files that you want to recover.
- The next screen will now show you all the files that the tool is recovering along with their previews so you can see exactly what files you have available for extraction. Select the files you want to extract and click on the Recover button on the bottom right of the window.
If the files you need are larger than 2GB in size, you can activate the full version of the software to get unlimited data recovery.
Part 3. How to Recover Lost Saved Game Data on PS5
If you have lost your PS5 game data for some reason, you need not worry because you can easily recover it whenever you want by following a few simple steps. In fact, there are three different methods that we are sharing with you on how to recover lost saved game data on ps5. For each of these methods to work, it is essential that you have a backup prepared as well. read on to find out more about how to recover lost saved game data on ps5 successfully.
Method 1: Restore Lost Saved Game Data from PS5 Online Storage
By online storage, we are referring to your cloud backup here and if you have created one then it should have all the game data that you have lost. To get that data back, you need to follow these steps:
- Open the Settings menu and then go to System > Power Saving > Features Available in Rest Mode > Stay Connected to the Internet. This is to ensure that your future backups are also automatically added to the cloud.
- Open the Settings menu again and then go to Saved Data and Game/App Settings. In the next screen, select Saved Data (PS5) or Saved Data (PS4).
- For PS5 games, select Sync Saved Data > Auto-Sync Saved Data. This is to ensure future syncs work properly.
Once you have performed these steps, your PS5 will automatically look for data stored on the cloud and update your console, thereby giving you access to your lost data. Please also make sure that you have automatic updates enabled on your PS5 for the data sync process to work properly.
Method 2: Restore Lost Saved Game Data from PS5 External Hard Drive
If you have made a backup of your game data on an external hard drive, then you can easily restore it by following a few simple steps. You can also use this method if you want to know how to recover from ps5 after a factory reset as the settings will remain the same.
- Go to the Setting Menu and then select System > Backup and Restore and then select the Restore Your PS5 option.
- Connect the external hard drive that contains your game data backup.
- Select the game data option when you are prompted to select the type of data you want to restore.
- Finalize your choice to begin the restoration process.
If this is your only method of saving game data, then we highly recommend that you update it frequently to avoid losing your game progress in case you lose your data by accident.
Method 3: Use Data Recovery Software to Scan PS5 Internal Storage
Last but certainly not least, is the option to go for third-party recovery software. This can help you with a lot of things including ps5 recover deleted videos, restore from ps4 to ps5, and of course, getting game data as well. This method can work if you want to recover from ps5 after a factory reset or if there is an issue with the drive and it has gone corrupt.
Regardless of the cause, all you need is a reliable tool like iBeesoft Data Recovery to get your game data back in no time. This free external hard drive recovery software makes it extremely easy for you to recover your data and provides free recovery of up to 2GB which can be more than enough for most casual players. Here are the steps you need to take to get your game data back:
- Take out the internal storage of your PS5 and put it inside a USB enclosure to convert it into an external drive.
- Install iBeesoft Data Recovery on your computer and run it.
- Connect your PS5 drive to your computer and when it shows up on the tool’s interface, hover the mouse over it and click on the Scan button next to it.
- Wait for the software to scan all the files and in the preview window, look for the game files you need. Click on all the files you need to recover and then click on the Recover button on the bottom right part of the screen to save them to your computer.
Once you have your data, you can restore it to your PS5 using the method described above for restoration using an external hard drive.
Part 4. Frequently Asked Questions for PS5 Backup and Restore
- How do I recover deleted videos on PS5?
- How to Recover Deleted Games on PS5?
- How to Recover Data from PS4 to PS5?
- How to Reset PS5 without Losing Data?
- How to Recover Deleted Clips on PS5?
For anyone wanting to know how to recover deleted clips on ps5, there is no conventional method to get them back. However, they can be recovered using recovery software like iBeesoft Data Recovery.
You can either download the deleted games again from the PS5 store or find them using a recovery tool like iBeesoft Data Recovery by scanning your drive for deleted files.
To recover from ps4 to ps5, you can open Settings > Saved Data and Game/App Settings menu and then select Saved Data (PS4) > USB Drive. With your drive connected to the PS5, you can select the Copy to Console Storage option to retrieve your files.
It does not matter if you know how to backup ps5 data in safe mode or if you want to recover from ps5 after a factory reset, the only way you are getting your data back through the console is if there was a backup present. If there is one, then you can either use the built-in restore function or connect your drive to a recovery tool for full data extraction.
On ps5 restore deleted videos by using a third-party recovery tool. For this, you will need to disconnect your drive and connect it to your computer for scanning and recovery of your deleted clips on PS5.