How to Recover Lost/Deleted/Unsaved Word Documents in Windows 11/10
"Can I recover a Word document I didn't save?" "How do I restore an unsaved Word documents in 2022?" "How do I get my Word document back?"
Word document is a media for people to connect or display important information. However, due to different reasons, people always face the problem of Word documents unsaved, lost or deleted. It’s very annoying to lose an important Word doc, especially when you’re writing your paper. Here in the following, let’s learn the workable ways for how to recover an unsaved Word documents in Windows 10 as well as how to retrieve lost/deleted Word doc in Windows 11/10.
- Quick Navigation
- Part 1. How to Recover an Unsaved Word Document after a Crash/Power Failure
- Part 2. How to Restore Unsaved Word Document in Windows 11/10 with AutoRecover
- Part 3. How to Find Unsaved Word Doc in Windows PC with Temporary Files.
- Part 4. How to Retrieve Lost/Deleted Word Doc in Windows 11/10
Part 1. How to Recover an Unsaved Word Document after a Crash/Power Failure
While editing a Word document, if the Word program crashed, your computer crashed, or what’s worse, computer powered off, you can still recover the unsaved Word document with the follow tries.
- Relaunch the Microsoft Word program in Windows PC.
- Mostly, a pop-up in the left panel telling you that there is a Word document automatically recovered.
- You can double-click on it to reopen it. The only drawback is that it’s the version for your last Ctrl + V saved.
- In the SEARCH box at the bottom left, type in "Word" and you can see some word documents in the search result.
- Find the unsaved Word to open it. After then, save it to a folder.
Part 2. How to Restore Unsaved Word Document in Windows 11/10 with AutoRecover
Microsoft Word comes with the AutoRecover feature. It will automatically saves the files for you. The AutoRecover file comes with the .asd file extension. Actually, the pop-up document in Part 1 is the AutoRecover file, displayed in Document Recovery area. If you don’t see the option in Part 1, get the AutoRecover file manually.
- No matter what version of Microsoft Word you’re using, find the location of the AutoRecover is the same. Launch the Word program and click "File" menu > "Options" > click "Save" in the left panel. See the AutoRecover location? Copy it.
- Paste the AutoRecover location you have copied in step 1 to File Explorer.
- Find the AutoRecover .asd file. Then use Microsoft Word to open it and check if it is what you need. If so, you can save the unsaved Word document to your computer.
Part 3. How to Find Unsaved Word Doc in Windows PC with Temporary Files
This method only works when you had enabled AutoSave in Microsoft Word. First, you need to find the temp file. after then, open it and save to your computer.
- The temp file is saved in this folder. It’s a file with file extension as .asd. You can navigate here to open it. In Word App, go to "File" menu > "Open", click "Recover Unsaved Documents".
- Open the .asd file and click "Save As" to save it as a Word doc on your PC.
Part 4. How to Retrieve Lost/Deleted Word Doc in Windows 11/10
If you have lost Word doc, the first method should be using the search box to search for it all over the computer hard drive. If it still missing, then you need software to get it back. It’s the same with the deleted Word doc. If you can’t find the deleted Word document in recycle bin, there is no way to restore it, but retrieve deleted Word doc with data recovery software tool.
iBeesoft Data Recovery is such a great recover Word Document tool for Windows PC. It works very well to recover deleted files in Windows 11, Windows 10, and format recovery. Here are some of its salient features.
Your Effective Software for Recover Word Document in Windows 11/10
- Recover Word documents no matter how it lost, like accidentally deletion, hard drive formatting, Windows OS reinstall, virus attack, unsaved, system crash.
- Besides retrieve lost Word docs from Windows 11/10 internal hard drives, it’s able to recover docs from USB flash drive and other external hard drives.
- Simple interface with built-in navigation. There is no jargon. It’s quite simple and easy for users to find data in Windows PC.
Download the Microsoft Word file recovery software now!!! Here are the simple steps for how to get back lost and deleted Word documents in Windows 11/10 with iBeesoft Data Recovery.
- Click the DOWNLOAD button to get the Word recovery software for your Windows PC. After then, install. It’s a standalone software tool and virus free. Feel Free to install it.
- Launch the best data recovery software for Windows 11, 10.
- In the next window, you can see all hard drives on your Windows 11/10 available. Please select the one where you have lost Word documents to scan. After then, click "Scan". Please note if you have saved the Word documents to the Windows Documents Folder, then you should select drive C. It’s part of the operating system drive.
- Wait patiently for the scanning to finish. After then, check the found files. When find the target Word documents, save them to your computer.
Files with .asd file extension are unsaved Word documents. You can save the .asd files to your PC. Later, open them in Word AutoRecover folder, then you can see the unsaved Word documents.