3 Ways to Erase iPhone Data Permanently for Free 
Your iPhone is full of your personal data, pictures, videos, voice memos, text messages, contacts, and more. For some data, like pictures and videos, they’re still in the "Recently Deleted" album even if you remove them from albums for the first time, let alone app data that contains your IDs and app history which you might not have noticed at all. If you’re going to sell your iPhone or give it away to others, you’d better delete data permanently from iPhone. Here in the following, 3 ways for how to erase iPhone data permanently for free are introduced, hoping you can get the right way to delete files permanently from iPhone.
- Quick Navigation
- Method #1. How to Erase iPhone Data Permanently on iPhone for Free by Setting (files might be recoverable)
- Method #2. Free Delete Files Permanently from iPhone with iTunes/Mac Finder (files might be recoverable)
- Method #3. How to Delete Data Permanently from iPhone by Using Free Files Cleaner/Eraser (files are not recoverable)
Method #1. How to Erase iPhone Data Permanently on iPhone for Free by Setting
The first way to free permanently delete files from iPhone is by erasing iPhone, which can be done on iPhone directly.
- Tap Settings > General > Reset on iPhone
- Select Erase All Content and Settings.
- When a message pop-up, tap Erase Now.
- Confirm the action by entering your passcode. If you have signed in with Apple ID, a new message will ask you to enter your Apple ID password as well.
- Wait for the whole process of erasing the iPhone to complete and your iPhone will restart. Set up it as a new iPhone.
Method #2. Free Delete Files Permanently from iPhone with iTunes/Mac Finder
Besides erasing iPhone data on iPhone itself, you can permanently delete files from iPhone for free on a computer as well, either on Mac or Windows PC.
- Connect your iPhone with your computer via its digital cable, making sure it is connected successfully.
- Choose the right way to delete data permanently from iPhone On Mac, select your iPhone in the Finder sidebar (macOS 10.15 or later) and click "General" at the top of the window, then click Restore iPhone.
- Follow the navigation to finish the whole process of erasing the iPhone, which is the process of factory resetting the iPhone.
On Mac, if the macOS is 10.14 or formers, then you should launch iTunes > click "Restore iPhone" in the Summary window.
On Windows PC, you should first download and install iTunes. After then, launch iTunes and click "Restore iPhone" in the Summary window
Method #3. How to Delete Data Permanently from iPhone by Using Free Files Cleaner/Eraser
For Method #1 and Method #2, though you have erased all content on your iPhone, including personal data, like videos, pictures, contacts, text messages, as well apps, system settings, Apple ID, and more, there are chances to recover data from wiped iPhone by using data recovery software, like iBeesoft iPhone Data Recovery. If you really worry about anybody getting your personal data, then try the free iPhone data cleaner or eraser, which will for sure completely erase data from your iPhone for you. Here are 4 free phone cleaners to erase iPhone data permanently free.
- iMobie Phoneclean
- Coolmuster iOS Cleaner
It’s a tool specially developed for users to manage iOS data, including iPhone data. From the main interface, you can see it is able to clean app, privacy, system, and specified large files. For each type of file, it will show the file size, letting you know how many files are there and which to clean for storage freeing up. It can clean up iPhone contacts, messages, videos, photos, and other junk files as you need.
iShredder is a series of data eraser tools for data erasing on iOS devices, Android phones, Mac, and Windows PC. While working on completely erasing iPhone data, the whole process is still operated on a computer. In this case, you need to download the right version for your computer. You can use it to erase your iPhone, delete junk files, or temporary data.
iMobie is a top brand for developing iOS tools. iMobie Phoneclean displays all the file storage on your iPhone, letting you make clear how much space you will get by erasing the corresponding data. It contains several clean modes, system clean, quick clean, internet clean, privacy clean, and even restore. This "Restore" will delete all data from your iPhone permanently and make them unrecoverable.
Coolmuster iOS clean is able to delete all kinds of data on your iPhone, including junk files, videos, pictures, contacts, messages, and more. All deleted files are permanently removed from your iPhone, and never be recoverable. The only drawback is that it will not erase the previously deleted data on your iPhone, which can be recovered with other iPhone data recovery software.
There are at least 3 ways to erase data permanently from iPhone. You should choose the best one according to your needs, making sure you will not lose important data and clean up the unwanted files.
Frequently Asked Questions for Erasing iPhone Data
- Can iPhone data be permanently deleted?
- How do I completely erase all data from my iPhone?
- Where do permanently deleted files go on iPhone?
- How do you permanently erase data so that it cannot be recovered iPhone?
- How do I erase all data from my iPhone for free?
- How do I deep delete an iPhone?
Sure, iPhone data can be permanently deleted. After the deletion, the data is invisible.
If "completely erasing all data on iPhone" only means making iPhone data invisible, then you can try to erase all content and settings on your iPhone by going to Settings > General > Erase All Content and Settings to factory reset your iPhone. If you mean "completely erasing all data on iPhone and data unrecoverable", then you need to use professional data shredder tools.
It depends on what kind of data is permanently deleted. For photos and videos, they go to the "Recently Deleted" album. As for other types of data, they might disappear and be invisible.
Using professional iOS data erasing tools for help will make permanently erased data unrecoverable on iPhone. Tools like CleanMyPhone, iMobile Phoneclean, Coolmuster iOS Cleaner, and iShredder are helpful.
Try to factory reset your iPhone by tapping Settings > General > Erase All Content and Settings on iPhone. It’s the easiest way. Another way is using free iPhone cleaner tools, like CleanMyPhone, iMobile Phoneclean, Coolmuster iOS Cleaner, and iShredder.
To deep delete an iPhone, you can’t do it manually. The only useful and efficient way is to make use of an iPhone cleaner to delete iPhone data by file types.