[Fixed] iMessage Photos Not Loading/Showing 
iMessage provides users with a simple yet powerful way to communicate with friends and family. However, iMessage photos not showing on iPhone is a common problem, especially after iOS updates. This can be incredibly frustrating; you may have wanted to share a special memory or a funny gif with your friends, only to be met with awkward silence. If you're having issues like this, Don't worry! This article will explain why iMessage not loading old pictures and how to fix it.
Why Do Pictures Disappear from Text Messages on iPhone?
Photos not showing up in messages info can be annoying. This can happen for different reasons, like:
- ⛔ Your iPhone is running out of storage space to save pictures from iMessage.
- 🗑️ Accidentally deleted iMessage photos received on iPhone while clearing cache/space.
- ⚙️ The iMessage service is unavailable, or the authorization required to call Photos has yet to be obtained.
- 🏷️ Old iMessage photos not showing might be an issue related to the Apple ID associated with your iMessage account.
- 🗃️ Other causes reason for iMessage pictures not showing in the info includes messing with settings related to iOS or iCloud, poor, intermittent Internet connections, iOS update failure, using an outdated app, and more.
Whatever the cause, photos in iMessage disappeared never fails to leave us frustrated and deprived of memories we'd hoped to hold onto. Fortunately, you can fix such annoyances by following the steps below.
How to Fix iMessage Pictures Not Showing 2023?
It can be confusing when you receive a photo via iMessage, and it won't show up in the conversation. If this is happening to you, you can take a few ways to troubleshoot and get things to work again.
Ways 1. Reload your iMessages
Sometimes after updating to the newest iOS, the apps are not ready for the new iOS. In this case, you can refresh the app, letting it work properly for the new iOS.
- Tap Settings on your iOS device.
- Go to Messages > Send & Receive.
- Sign out of your Apple ID.
- After then, sign in with your Apple ID again.
Ways 2. Reset Your Network Settings
Sometimes, your iMessage photos not downloading due to network congestion or wrong settings. You can reset it to try to fix this error.
- Navigate to Settings > tap General > tap Reset > Reset Network Settings, enter your iPhone login password and confirm the operation.
- Go to Settings > Wi-Fi. Select your personal network and enter the password.
- Finally open iMessage and let it reload all the content.
Ways 3. Repair Corrupted iMessage Cache Files
Sometimes your iPhone can't load SMS pictures because the cache file is corrupted. In this case, you can try to clean up the text message app caches and data to solve iPhone's old iMessage photos not showing the problem. Since Apple's mobile ecosystem is restricted and puts users' privacy and security in the first place, users can only install apps through the Apple App Store. This is why cleaning up caches between iPhone and Android devices is quite different. Apple officially doesn't offer any simple way to clean up caches on iPhone. However, you can still clean up caches and temporary data for most apps on iPhone by following the guide below.
- Go to Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Storage > Manage Storage.
- Click Messages and Select Delete APP.
- Download and reinstall the iMessage App via the App Store
Ways 4. Clean Up Your iPhone's Storage Space
iMessage pictures also take up your iPhone storage. Sometimes, lacking storage can also cause old iMessage photos not showing. You can clean useless files or Apps to solve this problem.
Ways 5. Are iMessage photos not loading? Check iCloud
Old iMessage photos not showing after the iOS update can be a big problem for people if they are critical. You can check whether the attached photos are still on your iCloud.
- Log in to your iCloud with your iCloud ID first, ensuring everything works and syncs well.
- Open the iMessage or Message app. Click on the info icon at the top and scroll to the bottom. If it says [numbers] number of images in iCloud and there is an option to download them, then the photos are missing from iMessage.
Ways 6. Check MMS settings
The iPhone experience is enhanced by the multimedia messaging system (MMS), which allows you to send and receive pictures, videos, and audio recordings through text messages. If it is turned off by mistake, your iMessage photos will become unusable. Therefore, you can check its status by following the steps.
- Navigate to Settings > Messages
- Scroll down, find "MMS Messaging," and check if it is enabled. If not, then please open it.
Ways 7. Check iMessage's #images Option
The cause of iMessage pictures not showing can also be due to the #images option needing to be available or loaded correctly. Therefore, you can check its status by following two steps.
1. Check Your Region and Language
According to Apple Support's description: "the #images is only available in the US, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, France, Germany, Italy, India, Singapore, Philippines, and Japan." If the iPhone is in another region, then you may not see it. To do this, you can go to Settings > General > Language & Address to set an applicable locale.
2. Reload #images Reload
If it is available in your region and still pictures not showing in iMessage. At this time, you can reload this option to fix it.
- Open any iMessage conversation and tap "..." in the bottom options
- Click "Edit" at the top left and find the "#images" option.
- Select the area where the item is located and swipe to the left of the screen.
- Select "Remove from Favorites" and click "Done."
- Turn off iMessage and re-enable this page's "#images" option.
Ways 8. Restore photos disappeared from iMessage
If the above methods still can't find photos that disappeared from iMessages on iPhone. Then they are most likely deleted by you accidentally. To do this, you can use software or backup to get them back.
1. Fix Photos Missing from iMessage by iCloud backup
- Tap on Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Contents and Settings. Wait until it powers on again, asking you to set up your iPhone.
- In the "App & Data" screen, choose "Restore from iCloud Backup". Sign in with your Apple ID and follow the built-in instruction to select an iCloud backup to restore lost iMessage pictures.
2. Find photos disappeared from iMessages with iTunes backup
- Connect your iPhone to your computer. Launch iTunes and make sure it detects your iPhone.
- In the iTunes summary window, click "Restore Backup" and follow the navigation to select an iTunes backup file to restore your iPhone.
Tip: The above 2 ways are only workable if you had backed up your iPhone to iTunes or iCloud before the photos disappeared from iMessage. They may also cause your current data to be overwritten. But don't worry, you can also fix iMessage photos not showing with applicable methods that don't require backup.
3. Retrieve Disappeared Photos from iMessage without Backup
Accidental deletion, upgrading iOS, etc., can also cause images disappeared from iMessage. For this situation, you must use iPhone data recovery software to return the lost photos from iMessages and messages as soon as possible.
iBeesoft iPhone Data Recovery is a professional tool to recover deleted text messages on iPhone without backup and find photos, videos, emails, documents, contacts, and more. Here are the simple steps to get iMessage pictures back.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer.
- Please download either the Windows or Mac versions of the iPhone data recovery software. After then, install it.
- Click "Recover from iOS" and click the "Scan" button.
- After scanning, you can see all found files are put into categories in the left panel. Select messages type and check the photos you want, finally click "Recover" to save them.
Having an issue with photos not loading in iMessage can be a significant inconvenience. Luckily, you can quickly fix this problem by using the method above.
Frequently Asked Questions about Pictures not Showing in iMessage
You're not alone if you're having trouble with images disappearing from iMessage. This is a common issue people have when trying to send or receive pictures with this messaging app. To ensure your image displays correctly, we've offered a list of frequently asked questions about this. This can help you better.
A: Most of the time, they still remain on your device. It's just that wrong settings or network issues prevented them from loading correctly. Another possibility is that you deleted them by mistake while cleaning up junk files. If the latter, then you can also use iBeesoft iPhone data recovery software to get them back.
A: If you're finding that photos in your iMessage conversations are taking forever to load or not loading, there are some tips you can take to try and rectify the issue. The first step will be checking if you have a weak internet connection. The next thing to determine if it's normal is whether it's an issue with the app or the device itself. You may have to uninstall and reinstall the iMessage app and reset your phone's network settings if necessary. One of those solutions should have fixed iMessage photos not loading!
A: If you back them up, you can easily get them back by iCloud or iTunes. If not, then you can also use iBeesoft iPhone Data Recovery to help you find the pictures disappear from text messages on your iPhone.
A: Preventing iMessage photos not downloading in the future is quite simple. The first step is ensuring your device has the most recent version of iOS. Doing so ensures all features are up to date and working correctly, which helps reduce compatibility issues. Additionally, you'll want to check your device's storage space. If there is insufficient storage available on your iPhone or iPad, then videos, images, and other media may fail to download fully or not appear. Finally, it is essential to regularly update any apps that use data transmission functions like iMessage, as these updates often contain bug fixes and other improvements that will help ensure that your content displays correctly. Taking a few minutes to monitor these details can help keep your iMessages beautiful and problem-free!
The pictures not showing up in iMessage is a common issue when sending or receiving images with this messaging app. This article lists almost all practical solutions to fix the iMessage photos not showing the issue. If all else fails, your pictures may be gone forever. To prevent such disasters from happening again, use iCloud or iTunes to back up your data.