How to Unformat an SD Card on Mac/Windows/Android Phone
The SD card is a storage device that can be used in all sorts of portable devices like digital cameras, laptops, phones, and more. We use it every day for a wide range of various scenarios. However, it is common to get formatted unintentionally or on purpose. If you have a memory card with valuable data, You must be wondering how to unformat SD card successfully. Thankfully, the answer to that is yes for both Windows, Mac, and Android users, and we will be sharing the options you have in this article, so keep reading!
- Quick Navigation
- Part 1. Why does an SD Card Need Formatting?
- Part 2. What Happens When You Format an SD Card
- Part 3. Can You Unformat an SD Card from Camera/Windows/Mac/Phone?
- Part 4. Some Alternative Methods for Recovering Data from a Formatted SD Card
- Part 5. Tips For Keeping Your Data Safe and Preventing Data Loss in Formatting
- Part 6. How to Repair Corrupted SD Card to Avoid Data Loss
- Part 7. Frequently Asked Questions for Formatted SD Card Recovery
Part 1. Why does an SD Card Need Formatting?
Sometimes, SD cards can misbehave for various reasons. then, you have to format it to solve the problem. Some of the most common reasons why you may need to format their SD cards include the following:
- Access denied;
- The file system is damaged, and the computer cannot recognize it
- Improper operation, no safe remove;
- The computer suddenly crashes and powers off;
- Forced or unexpected interruptions in the process of copying files;
- SD card infected with the virus;
- Inferior card readers can also easily cause card damage.
Part 2. What Happens When You Format an SD Card?
You may think, like the "reset to factory settings" function on phones, computers, and more, formatting an SD card means you are deleting everything you have added to the card. However, the fact is your data is not gone permanently right after you format the SD card. Just only you can't see it. It still saves on your SD card with its once occupied space marked as storable and waiting to store new data. Therefore, if you, after formatting the card. Please start to unformat SD card as soon as possible. You still have a good chance of getting back your files.
Part 3. Can You Unformat an SD Card from Camera/Windows/Mac/Phone?
While formatting an SD card is quite easy, it is much more complex when you need to go in the opposite direction – the SD card unformat. What do you do when for some reason, you lose data that you needed and want to recover files from a formatted SD card? Most people would think of that as an impossible task, but they would be wrong. Although the memory card is wiped, we cannot see the saved data. However, professional software can help us discover and migrate them to a new location.
How to Unformat SD in Windows 11/10/8
The first option we are discussing is unformatting memory cards on Windows 11, 10, and more using iBeesoft Data Recovery. It has several great features, including support for multiple file systems and countless data formats. You can preview the recoverable files and repair corrupted videos and photos during scanning. The software is also available on both Windows and Mac, and to make your life easier, we are sharing the steps you need to take to undo format SD card through iBeesoft data recovery software. you need to take the following steps:
- Download and install iBeesoft Data Recovery on your Windows PC.
- Connect the memory card to the computer using a card reader or USB.
- In the main window, hover the mouse over the SD card and click on the "Scan" button.
- After scanning, you will see all the found files from your SD card. You can use the preview option to check them.
- Once you have selected the files you need, click on the "Recover" button on the bottom right of the screen to save them.
How to SD Unformat on Mac
The second option is using iBeesoft data recovery software for Mac to restore files from formatted SD cards. It is an excellent option for anyone who wants to get back all their SD card data and potentially save money while they are at it. The software offers up to 500M free recovery for any device you want. The steps involved are as follows:
- Connect your card to the Mac laptop or desktop
- To begin the process, download and install the iBeesoft Data Recovery for Mac.
- Click on the large "Start" button on the main screen to begin. You may also unselect specific file types if you only want to get back some files.
- On the next screen, find the card in the drive list and select it. After that, click on the "Scan" button on top to begin the unformat SD card Mac process.
- The results page will show all the files you can resume from your SD card after formatting. Once you select the target files, you can click the "Recover" button on top of the screen to save the files on your Mac or other drives.
This app also offers a Deep scan option to select if the initial scan does not show all the files you need to recover.
How to Undo Format SD Card on Android Phone
With Android, the solution is just as simple as it is on Windows and Mac. You need a good app like iBeesoft Data Recovery. Here, we recommend Dumpster to help you find all kinds of files from your formatted memory card on Android. To use it, all you need to do is follow these three simple steps:
- Go to Play Store to download and install Dumpster on your Android Device
- Please open it and go to the Deep Scan section.
- Once done, select the files you need to restore.
Part 4. Some Alternative Methods for Recovering Data from a Formatted SD Card
If you strictly follow the steps for unformat SD Card, the above solutions will help you. Provided that your data is not overwritten or fully formatted. There are still other ways to help you get back data lost from formatting memory cards. However, they require special conditions to work. Next, we will briefly introduce them.
- Use Command Prompt: Open it > type chkdsk *: /f > * > attrib -h -r -s /s /d *.*. "*" is the drive letter of your SD card. This command won't help you in most cases.
- Find a data recovery provider: they can still help you, but it will take more time and expense. There is also the risk of privacy leakage!
- Search for backups: If you ever save a copy to Onedrive, iCloud, Google Drive, or other drives. You can try to open them and check.
Part 5. Tips For Keeping Your Data Safe and Preventing Data Loss in Formatting
No matter what causes data loss, you must to formatted SD card recovery. However, with a bit of care, you should be able to prevent data loss in many common scenarios. We share some valuable tips to ensure you do not lose data in formatting and keep it safe.
- Make sure you create regular backups of all your data at frequent intervals. This is one of the most effective methods of keeping your data safe from loss.
- Avoid opening any suspicious emails and do not download files from untrustworthy sources.
- Do not mishandle your storage devices and avoid any physical damage that may come to them.
- Use a stable power supply to avoid sending too much current to your devices. Investing in a good surge protector is also a great idea.
- Keep your antivirus app up to date so you do not miss any security features and stay invulnerable from attacks.
- Avoid deleting any files that you are unfamiliar with, especially when they are system-related files.
Part 6. How to Repair Corrupted SD Card to Avoid Data Loss
If your SD card is damaged, causing inaccessibility, files disappeared, etc. You might think all your files are lost. Thankfully, many ways to help you fix it and keep your data safe. We are sharing different methods that you can try to repair your corrupted SD card successfully.
- How to fix SD card not showing files
- Open the File Explorer and go to your SD card folder.
- In the ribbon on top, go to the View Tab > Show/Hide.
- In the list that appears, select the Hidden Items checkbox.
- Your files should now be visible. If they are not already, press the F5 key on your keyboard to refresh the screen.
- How to Fix SD card access denied and is the file system shown as RAW?
- Type the CMD in the search box
- Click Run as Administrator
- In the command line, type the chkdsk X: /f and press Enter.
- How to remove memory card read-only protection
- Run Command Prompt on your Windows PC as Administrator.
- Type the diskpart and then press enter
- Type the list disk and press Enter again.
- From the drive list, find the Disk number for your SD card and then type select disk x, where x would be the number allotted to your SD card.
- Type the attributes disk clear readonly and press Enter.
A common reason for SD cards not showing files is that the files are set as hidden. The reason for this can be different for each user, but if you want to make your files visible, you need to do the following:
Windows has a built-in error fixing tool, which is called CHKDSK. This can be used to fix errors on both internal and external drives, including SD cards. To fix SD card errors, you need to follow these steps:
Do not forget to replace the "X" in the command with the letter assigned to your SD card. Depending on the size of the drive, the process can take a few minutes and several hours. Once the process is complete, you should usually be able to access your SD card.
Many people want to change the contents of their SD cards but cannot do so. This is usually because the SD card is running with read-only protection. To disable that, you can use the Command Prompt and follow these steps:
Part 7. Frequently Asked Questions for Formatted SD Card Recovery
You can use the system's built-in tools to do the reformatting. To avoid data loss, please transfer data to other drives before format.
In cases where the SD card storage has not been overwritten, third-party tools like iBeesoft Data Recovery can be used to get data back. Just run the data recovery software > Scan the SD card > Preview the found files > Select needed files to save.
Yes, you can restore photos from a formatted SD card using iBeesoft Data Recovery. It can be done in a few simple steps:
- Connect the formatted SD card with your computer
- Download and install iBeesoft Data Recovery software on your computer.
- Select the SD card to extract data.
- Preview the recoverable SD card files
- Select needed pictures and click "Recover" to save them.
You can try several steps to do this, including different methods, including Windows CHKDSK, reinstalling drivers, Windows Repair Tool, and an extra SD card slot or reader.
A read-only microSD card can be formatted the same way as any other card when you connect it to your Windows PC. Right-click on the SD card icon, select format, choose the correct settings and then format the card.
This is dependent entirely on the overwriting situation of each card. In most cases where you do not have too much overwriting done, you can recover your data successfully using third-party software.
There are several built-in methods that you can use on both Mac and Windows to find your data for free. However, these ways do not always work and come with limitations. The best option for you is to choose iBeesoft Free Data Recovery. It is highly versatile, supports many file formats and devices, including memory cards, and provides up to 2GB of free data recovery.
Sometimes, you may format the SD card for accidental operation or other reasons. After completing the erasing, all data saved on the memory card will become invisible. When a disaster occurs, you may need to get them back. At this time, you will want to undo this action. Therefore, there is the saying of undo format SD card or unformat memory card.
Depending on why your memory card is not accessible, you may not be able to find saved data. In most cases, a good recovery tool like iBeesoft Data Recovery should do the trick. Or you have to fix the memory card first to make it accessible.
If it is a built-in memory card, then any computer-based program cannot help you because the new version of the Android does not allow them to obtain Root permission to scan the device. But don't worry. You can search for the Android SD Card Recovery app on Google Play to solve this problem. If it is an external SD card, then you can use this SD card recovery software for Mac or Windows to help you get back lost photos, videos, or other files after formatting.
When you encounter the above memory card error, with our help, you can solve them well. When dealing with data loss issues, we recommend you to try iBeesoft Data Recovery to unformat hard drive, SD card or USB drive on Mac/Windows. It is highly versatile and capable for many users.