12 Best Free USB Recovery Software for Mac/Windows: Recover Files from a USB Drive
The USB flash drive is highly shock-resistant, has a large storage capacity, and is safe and reliable. Therefore, it is the best choice for you to carry important information. But, losing essential files on a flash drive can be a nightmare, whether it's work documents, family photos, or cherished music files. Because you might lose them permanently or you must create new ones from scratch.
When you encounter such situations, please take deep breaths and calm down. You haven't come to a dead end yet. The good news is that plenty of free flash drive recovery software for Mac and Windows 11/10/8/7 is out there to help with this! In the following article, we introduce 12 different flavors with free tools that will recover files lost from a flash drive within seconds, giving back what was once yours after just a few clicks of completion. You can read on for more details.
- Quick Navigation
- Part 1. How to Choose the Right USB Data Recovery Software Free for You
- Part 2. 12 Best Free USB Recovery Software on Mac/Windows PC in 2022
- Part 3. Frequently Asked Questions
Part 1. How to Choose the Right USB Data Recovery Software Free for You
Many USB recovery tool free options are available on the internet, and it can be hard to know which one to choose. Quality and security measures vary between programs; some may even damage lost data further, making them impossible to recover. So how to choose them may be your current trouble. Don't worry. We've collected some filters to help you.
- 💪 It must have a high file recovery rate. This option is a rigid indicator for this type of tool.
- 🎎 It should be a simple program that anyone can use. If it is too complicated or add-on features are added, it may mislead you to properly perform USB data recovery.
- 📋 It should work on almost all operating systems, data types, file systems, and storage devices. This way, you can easily use it on other devices.
- 🛠️ It not only has the function of recovering USB drive files and also can repair damaged data. Because some data loss scenarios will cause some properties of the file to be lost, making it impossible to open after recovery. If this app can repair them automatically, you can solve this problem perfectly.
- 🔍 It must offer a preview function to ensure that it will recover the files you need.
- 😀 It should have a good service team, and it would be best if it could provide remote assistance. This can help you solve various problems at any time.
By taking these factors into account, you can be sure to choose the best USB flash drive recovery tool for your needs.
12 Best Free USB Recovery Software on Mac/Windows PC in 2022
- iBeesoft Free Data Recovery
- EaseUS Data Recovery Free Wizard
- Pandora Recovery
- Undelete 360
- Wise Data Recovery
- SoftPerfect File Recovery
- PC Inspector File recovery
iBeesoft Free Data Recovery
iBeesoft Free Data Recovery is a famous free USB data recovery software for Windows 11, 10, 7, and macOS. Though new, it is developed with the most advanced data recovery algorithm and data repair technology. It has helped thousands of people worldwide widely rescue data in emergencies. You can preview to check the integrity of the content.
- The file recovery for USB flash drives rate is 99.65%;
- It supports 1000+ file types, covering all daily used file types with different extensions;
- Restore files lost in 500 data loss scenarios;
- Repair corrupted videos, pictures, and documents.
- The free version can recover 2GB of data
- Deep scan mode is time-consuming
Recuva is a powerful, free USB file data recovery software compatible with all Windows platforms. It is easy to use and has many optional advanced features. Recuva has always been at the top of the best disk recovery software list, and the tool is divided into free and paid versions.
- Excellent file recovery;
- Advanced deep scan mode;
- Using industry and military standard secure data removal techniques;
- Simple user interface.
- Works only on Windows PCs
- No continuous version updates
EaseUS Data Recovery Free Wizard
EaseUS data recovery has a free version and paid version. The free wizard is distributed in 160 countries and regions worldwide, and the recovery rate of EaseUS is very high among the free USB recovery software for Mac or Windows PC. The software's quick and deep scanning methods can search for lost data more comprehensively and restore while scanning without waiting for the entire scanning process to be completed, and the [Filter] function that comes with it can quickly find the files you need.
- The scanning speed is fast, and the file recovery rate is high.
- Good at retrieving data from formatted USB flash drives or memory cards.
- The file preview feature helps identify lost items to recover.
- It is available in Windows and Mac versions.
- The free version can recover 1GB of data
- The full version is expensive
Created by Christophe Grenier, PhotoRec is a free and open-source USB file recovery program that works well on almost all operating systems. PhotoRec is not just a photo recovery tool (don't be fooled by its name). This powerful software can find nearly 500 file formats from hard disks or removable media. However, it has no GUI, and using the command-line interface requires professional knowledge.
- Available on multiple platforms (Windows, macOS, and Linux).
- The developers regularly update it.
- It is open-source (source code released).
- The command line interface is unacceptable
- Cannot preview recoverable files
DiskDrill is a professionally designed USB data recovery software free for Windows 10, 11, and macOS. It is available in its paid and free versions. With the forensic file recovery method, this software retrieves & reconstructs data from over 200 file types. It also uses multiple ways to get files back from any storage device within a minute.
- Multiple powerful scanning algorithms have been used for data recovery.
- Data preview & protection feature is available.
- It provides "Time machine" backup or snapshot recovery.
- The free version of this software gives a maximum of 500 MB of data to recover.
- The scan result doesn't show the file condition or quality.
TestDisk is similar to PhotoRec's, a potent partition recovery tool designed to help discover deleted/lost partitions, make crashed disks bootable again, and much more. TestDisk is like an experienced doctor who can solve most problems related to computer hard drives and USB flash drives.
- Free, open-source, secure free USB data recovery software
- It can also repair the partition table and recover deleted partitions.
- Rescue data from problematic partitions caused by software glitches, certain types of viruses, or human error.
- The user interface is not friendly
- No high file recovery rate
Pandora Recovery is a powerful tool to recover deleted files in Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, and XP. It supports all major file formats, including NTFS, FAT, and NTFS/EFS, and is compatible with local and network drives. The software is easy to use and provides various options for recovering files. Overall, Pandora Recovery is an excellent choice for anyone needing reliable and free USB recovery software.
- Ability to recover deleted files from NTFS and FAT formatted volumes;
- Preview certain types of deleted files (pictures and text files) without performing recovery;
- Surface scanning (allowing you to get data back from formatted drives) and the ability to retrieve archived, hidden, encrypted, and compressed files.
- It cannot rescue some files without a deep scan mode
- Outdated interface
Undelete 360 looks like a typical Office application and uses a fast and efficient algorithm that enables users to resume files. It supports all storage drives, including USB flash drives, computer hard drives, digital cameras, memory cards, and more. And it's easy to use - just choose the drive you want to scan and Undelete 360 will do the rest. Whether a casual or power user, it is an essential tool for anyone who wants to protect their data.
- Available in multiple languages.
- The file tree is beneficial in finding the target project.
- Includes a wipe tool that securely removes unrecoverable files.
- Poor format recovery
- It can't preview before recovery
Wise Data Recovery
The WiseClean family of freeware is excellent, and the USB data recovery software free is no exception. It's intuitive: select the drive to scan, then browse the project tree to check your precious files. The software can help you recover files and folders from various devices, and it's an essential tool for anyone who relies on flash devices for storage. The software is easy to use and free, so there's no reason not to try it.
- Easy to set up and use.
- Fast scanning process.
- Available in multiple languages.
- Poor recovery from SSD
- Some storage devices are not recognized
SoftPerfect File Recovery
The primary purpose of SoftPerfect File Recovery is to help you rescue accidentally deleted data from USB flash drives, SD and CF cards, etc. It supports popular file systems like FAT12/16/32, NTFS, and NTFS5 with compression and encryption. The undelete or unformat USB program runs from Windows XP to Windows 10.
- Portable, no installation required.
- Very easy to use - no unnecessary settings and screens required.
- Ability to restore files using "path."
- No portable version
- File recovery is incomplete
The Tokiwa is an excellent tool for anyone who needs to recover lost or deleted data. The installation process is swift and easy, and the software can retrieve and erase documents, archives, pictures, videos, and more from traditional storage media. The program also includes a built-in tool for creating backups of your data. Overall, this free USB data recovery software is a useful program that can help you find lost or deleted files.
- Fast scanning process.
- The deep scan function is available after the simple scan.
- Ability to permanently erase files.
- No macOS version
- Poor recovery on drives with FAT file system
PC Inspector File recovery
When removing a file from the USB drive, the data isn't actually erased immediately. Instead, the space the information occupies is simply marked as available for new files to be written. As a result, it's often possible to get it back using a USB recovery tool free. One such program is PC Inspector File recovery. It can help you recover deleted files from a USB drive, even if the boot sector has been wiped or damaged. However, if the disk drive fails mechanically, the program won't help. In other words, this program can be a helpful tool for recovering lost data, but it has its limitations.
- Assertive, able to detect logical drives that other USB recovery software free cannot.
- Organizing recovered files is easier because it automatically puts them into the correct file structure.
- Multiple languages are supported.
- Scanning is slow
- Poor data recovery ability
USB drives are convenient, but they can also be very fragile. If you've lost data from a flash drive, there's no need to panic. Many free USB recovery software for Mac or Windows PC can help you find your files. No matter for what reason you lost the files. Just pick the right program for your drive and follow the instructions to get your files back.
Frequently Asked Questions
A: There are many excellent USB recovery free programs available, depending on your specific needs as to which one is best for you. If you need to restore deleted and formatted files, then iBeesoft Free Data Recovery is a great option. If you need to resume data from a damaged or corrupt USB drive, then TestDisk is worth a try.
A: You can't find files from USB manually since the removed files from the USB flash drives that not put into recycle bin. The only option is to use a free USB drive data recovery tool for help. iBeesoft Free Data Recovery is one of the best choices. You can follow the guide below to get back the data:
- Connect the USB drive to your computer.
- Download and install the USB file recovery free program on your Windows PC or Mac. After then, launch it.
- Click the "Scan" button for the connected drive to let the software scan for it.
- Preview found files by opening them.
- Select needed files and click "Recover" to save them from a new location.
A: Many free apps are available (iBeesoft Free Data Recovery, Recuva, TestDisk, PhotoRec, Undelete360, and EaseUS Data Recovery free wizard). The articles mentioned 12 data recovery software for Windows 11, Windows 10, macOS, USB drive, hard disk, and more. You can check their details and choose the one that can meet your requirements.
A: EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard has free and pro versions. The free version only lets you get 500MB of files back for free. To recover up to 2GB of files for free, you must share this software with your social media account, like Facebook. The pro version requires payment.
A: While most free USB data recovery programs are pretty good, there are some limitations. Firstly, they may not be able to recover all types of data. So if you're trying to salvage something specific (like video files or emails), it's worth checking with the software developer beforehand to ensure that it's supported. Secondly, free programs usually have lower success rates than paid-for versions, so it's worth investing in a commercial program if you're trying to recover critical data. Finally, some free programs restrict the recovery amount of data. So if you're dealing with large amounts of data (over several gigabytes), please learn the details of the program.
A: The first step is to connect the USB drive to the computer. Next, launch the software and select the USB drive. The software will then scan the drive and display a list of recoverable files. Finally, select the lost files and click "Recover" to save them to a safe location.
A: Some simple steps to protect your data include making regular backups and avoiding sudden power interruptions. Additionally, you can try using USB data recovery software to create a bootable recovery drive. This will allow you to retrieve lost data even if your system fails to boot.
A: It is corrupted if you cannot access the files stored on the USB flash drive. You can try iBeesoft Data Recovery to recover the data and then use the chkdsk command, format, or repair tool to fix it.
A: Most free USB drive recovery programs should work with any storage device, including external hard drives, flash drives, and SSDs. However, some programs may only work with certain types of devices. If you are unsure whether a particular program will work with your device, check the program's requirements before downloading it.
A: The success rate of any given USB stick recovery tool free will vary depending on several factors, including the severity of the damage to the drive and the type of file being recovered. In general, however, most programs have a reasonably high success rate when recovering lost or deleted files. However, the success rate will be lower for more severely damaged drives.
A: Most USB file recovery programs are designed to work with all types of files, including photos, videos, documents, and more. However, some programs may specialize in recovering specific files, such as video or audio files. If you have a specific type of file that you need to recover, be sure to choose a program that specializes in that particular file type.