How to Zip and Unzip Files on Your Mac
It’s a common action to zip and unzip files on your Mac at work or for study since emails as well as cloud services can’t save files with large size. This article covers all the information you want to learn how to zip 2 files together, how to unzip files on Mac, how to fix corrupted zip files, and how to recover lost or deleted zip files on Mac with data recovery software (Download the free trial by clicking the button).Download for macOS Download for Windows
Most files are usually large and can be quite inconvenient, especially if you email the file to someone else. Sending such could take a long time to deliver, takes up too much space, and needs to be zipped. You will learn how to zip and unzip files on your Mac in this article.
Part 1. How to Zip Files on Your Mac
When you zip a file, the file gets compressed, and every redundant file enables it to take up a smaller space and be sent and delivered much faster.
On Mac computers, files can either be zipped as a single file or as multiple files. To zip a single file on Mac, all you need to do is right-click the file you intend to zip. From the pop-up menu to appear on the screen, tap on ‘Compress’ to zip the file.
If you want to learn how to zip two files together on a mac, follow these quick and easy steps to zip multiple files on your Mac.
- Select all the files you need to compress by holding down your mouse and drag through the files to be zipped. If you aren’t using a mouse, you can hold down your trackpad while dragging through to select the files.
- Once the files have been selected, press ‘Control,’ then select ‘Compress.’ Also, you can right-click on the desired files and tap on ‘Compress.’ Your files will then be compressed to a single file, with the original file staying intact.
- Once you have successfully zipped your file, you can rename it by clicking on ‘Control,’ then select ‘Rename to change the file name from Archive.zip.
Part 2. How to Unzip Files on Mac
When you have a zip file, it is impossible to access the file's contents until the file is unzipped. The process of unzipping files is easy, fast, and stress-free on Mac since the Mac OS has an in-built archive utility that zips and unzips files. This implies that you don’t need third-party software to zip and unzip your file unless the file develops some complications along the way. To learn how to unzip files on Mac, follow these simple steps.
- Double-click on the zip file you intend to unzip. Next, a pop-up folder will appear on the same spot as the file. Open the file, and your zip file will be automatically unzipped.
- Optionally, you can unzip your file on Mac by right-clicking the zipped file and select ‘Open With’ From the list of options to appear, choose Archive Utility. Your file will then be unzipped, and you can now access its contents.
Part 3. How to Open Zip Files on Mac with Terminal
The terminal is an application on the Mac OS which provides text-based access to your computer’s OS. The terminal has a zip command that helps you zip and unzip files on Mac. You can locate the terminal from your computer’s utility folder or search for ‘Terminal’ on your search box. To open zipped files on Mac, follow these simple steps.
- Step 1. Move File to Desktop
- Step 2. Open Terminal
- Step 3. Change The Directory to Desktop
- Step 4. Unzip The File
If you move the zipped file, you intend to open it to your desktop, and it is easier for the file to be located and opened.
There are two ways to open the terminal on Mac. You can either locate it from the list of applications in the ‘Utility’ folder, or you can search for the terminal on your computer’s search box. After finding the application, click to open.
You can change the terminal’s directory to the desktop using the command prompt. To do this, type ‘cd desktop,’ which means ’change directory to desktop’.
To unzip the file, type ‘unzip (name of the file to be unzipped).zip You will then receive a notification saying your file has been unzipped. Go back to your desktop and access the contents of the file.
Part 4. How to Fix Corrupted Zips Files
Due to the popularity of zip files and their ability to compress multiple files, it is prevalent to come across corrupted zip files. There is no need to worry, though, since it’s possible to fix corrupted zipped files. Some of the common why zipped files get corrupted are as follows:
- The zipped file is located in the wrong sector of a corrupted hard drive or storage space.
- There might have been an accidental complication during the creation of the zip file. Such complications include sudden power outages, abrupt system shut down, or any other unexpected interruptions.
- Incomplete download or transfer.
- Virus attack targeted at your system.
If your zipped files have been corrupted due to any reasons listed above, keep reading to learn how to fix such issues.
- To fix a corrupted zip file located in a corrupted hard drive, you will need a good file repair tool. You can use Winzip Command Prompt for Windows computers or Terminal’s Zip Command for Mac to fix the corrupted zipped files. If these methods fail to fix the problem, you can make use of professional data recovery software.
- If the zip file got corrupted due to unexpected interruptions, restart the computer and recreate the zip file.
- To fix a corrupted file due to incomplete download or transfer, you can re-download or re-transfer the corrupted file and try to open it again.
- The easiest way to fix zip files corrupted by virus attacks is to use professional data recovery software to retrieve and fix the affected zip file.
Part 5. How to Recover Deleted Zips Files on Mac
Accidental deletion of files is a widespread phenomenon for Mac users. If you have accidentally deleted your zip files on Mac, it is straightforward to recover them if you use the iBeesoft Data Recovery software. It is a professional file recovery software that helps you recover deleted or lost Zip and RAR files on Mac and Windows computers. The software is fast, reliable, and user-friendly. To recover deleted files on Mac, follow these simple steps.
- Step 1. Download And Install The Best Free Mac Data Recovery Software
- Step 2. Select a Location
- Step 3. Scan, Preview, and Recover Zipped File
You will first have to download and install it on your Mac computer; then, you launch the software. Next, select the particular file type to be recovered or select ‘ All File Type’ and click ‘Start’ to proceed.
After clicking start, you’ll be asked to select a location. Choose the desired location from your computer hardware or external storage and click on ‘Scan’ to begin the archive recovery scanning process.
In a short time, all your lost files will be scanned and displayed on the screen. Select the file type you intend to recover (archive in this case) and preview the files. Once you’re satisfied with the results, click on ‘Recover’ to save deleted zip on Mac.