The external hard drive transfer rate is very slow on Mac is a problem you must face if you have to use it to store and transfer files regularly. In some simple ways, actually you can fix the problem. Here in the following are the reasons and solutions for an external hard drive that is slow to respond on Mac, as well as how to use iBeesoft Data Recovery for Mac to recover files trapped in the external hard drive on Mac.Download for macOS Download for Windows
Transferring files with external hard drives are more convenient when compared to a flash drive. It’s faster and also easier to erase and write information to an external hard drive. However, an external hard drive can become slow for no apparent reason. If this happens, what can be done about it? Read on to learn how to fix slow external hard drive on Mac.
Why is my external hard drive so slow on Mac? Are you experiencing delays when opening or transferring files from your external hard drive on Mac? A couple of factors are responsible for this. However, you can get rid of the issues and improve the performance of your Mac without any problems. Before going into the details of the solutions, let’s see some of the possible reasons why external hard drive super slow Mac.
If your system has any of the above issues, there’s a high chance that your external hard drive very slow Mac.
Thankfully, there are different methods you can follow to fix this problem. In this post, we'll share the different options.
Large-sized duplicate files like videos, music, and photos use up precious storage disk space. The accumulation of these duplicates can lead to external hard drives running slow on Mac. To resolve this issue and boost the speed of your Mac’s external hard drive, you need to clean up the duplicate files and free up your disk space. How can you do this? You can do it via features in Finder.
1. Go the Finder > Apple menu > File > New Smart Folder.
2. Click a Plus button and select Search parameters: Kind, Date, Name, File type, and others.
3. Click "Other …". From there you can find more parameters to searching for files.
4. Check out the possible duplicate files, like with the same date, file type, file size. When find duplicate files, select them and move them to the dust bin.
You can boost the performance of an external hard drive running super slow on Mac by repairing the Disk Utility of the system. This is easy to do and worth trying out when you notice that your hard drive is slow. Follow the step-by-step guide to use this option.
Step 1: Press the Command + S keys down to boot the Mac system into a single user mode.
Step 2: Type in the behind command – "fsck –fy". You will see the message "File-system Modified’ after typing the "fsck" command.
Step 3: Reboot the Mac system to continue with the repair Mac external hard drive slow transfer rate process.
Files are not stored in a single place, which means before you can access a file on your Mac system; all other files will be read. If there are more pieces of files on your system, the system performance will reduce, leading to external hard drive really slow on Mac. This process is referred to as fragmentation. To improve the system’s performance, you must do the opposite which is to defragment the drive. To do this, follow the simple step-by-step guide below.
Step 1: Move all the files on your external hard drive to your Mac computer.
Step 2: Format the external hard drive.
Step 3: Move the files back to the external hard drive.
Sometimes, you may find it impossible to access your external hard drive for no obvious reason. If you have important files in the drive, this can become a source of concern. However, you don’t have to worry because you can use iBeesoft Data Recovery for Mac to recover all files from the hard drive.
It is an effective and 100% safe drive recovery tool that is designed to help you recover files completely from an inaccessible external hard drive. The software deep scans the drive to locate and restore files that are generally difficult to find.
1. When you launch iBeesoft Data Recovery software, all file types will be checked by default. You can uncheck all file types and select the specific ones you want. Click the "Start" button to launch the lost file recovery on Mac process.
2. You may select a specific location that you want the software to scan. Thie tool can scan any part of your Mac system and the external hard drive to find the data you’re looking for.
3. Check the upper part of the displayed window to find the scan result. Preview the files and if you’re still missing some files, use the "Deep Scan" to find more data. Click the "Recover" button to recover files from external hard drive on Mac.
The above are the different methods you can follow to fix slow file transfer to the external hard drive on Mac. Other speedup tips will ensure your external hard drive’s performance is optimized. These include monitory the activity of your Mac, managing startup items appropriately, and turning off the visual effects on your Mac operating system. Anyway, if you have lost files from external hard drive on Mac or the files trapped there, try iBeesoft Data Recovery for help.