Proved 4 Ways for How to Recover Deleted Files from External Hard Drive on Mac
"How can I get back deleted files from my external hard drive without software on Mac?"
To restore deleted files on external hard drive on Mac, you can do it without software, but I am not sure whether you can make it or not. It fully depends on how you delete the files and whether you have backup file or not. Here in the following, 4 proved ways for how to recover deleted files on external hard drive on Mac are covered, hoping you can find the right way.
- Quick Navigation
- Part 1. How to Get Deleted Files Back on External Disk on Mac from Recycle Bin
- Part 2. How to Retrieve Files from External Hard Drive on Mac with Backup Files
- Part 3. How to Restore Data from External Drive on Mac with Data Recovery Software
- Part 4. Recover Deleted Files from External Hard Drive on Mac for free with Local Data Recovery Service
Part 1. How to Get Deleted Files Back on External Disk on Mac from Recycle Bin
Files deleted on an external hard drive never go to recycle bin! No, it’s the case when you do the deletion on Windows PC. While on Mac, it’s quite different. If you delete files from an external hard drive on Mac, you might drag and drop the files to the recycle bin, right? If so, you have the chance to get back deleted files from external hard drive from Mac recycle bin.
- Connect the external hard drive with your Mac.
- Click to open the recycle bin on your Mac.
- You can scroll down to look for the deleted files.
- When finding the target files, select them and right-click on, select Put Back.
- After then, in the original folder to check the recovered files.
Tips: you can also type in the names of the files one by one in the search box on the top right to search for the deleted files.
Please note that not all deleted files are still in the recycle bin. They’re only saved here for a couple of days before permanently removed. If you failed to find deleted files on external hard drive from Mac recycle bin, go to the other ways below.
Part 2. How to Retrieve Files from External Hard Drive on Mac with Backup Files
If you have more than one external hard drive, you may check the other external disks whether there are the files you have deleted or not. It’s a common situation that people have important file copies in different external hard drives.
If you had backed up your external disk with software or any method, they you can recover files from external hard drive on Mac by copying the files.
There are chances that your Time Machine backup may contain the files you had deleted on an external hard drive if once you had the copies on your Mac. To get the deleted files back, you can try to restore deleted files on an external hard drive by restoring them from Time Machine. If the Time Machine backup files are in another external hard drive, please connect it with your Mac first.
- In the menu bar on Mac, please click Time Machine > Enter Time Machine.
- Scroll down to view the files backed up in the Time Machine.
- Select the file and press the Spacebar to preview it.
- When finding the target file or folder, select it and click Restore.
Part 3. How to Restore Data from External Drive on Mac with Data Recovery Software
If you failed to get deleted files back from external hard drive on Mac, then you must try a professional data recovery software tool to recover deleted files from the external hard drive on Mac. If you hurry up, it’s very possible for you to get the files back in good result.
iBeesoft Data Recovery for Mac is a great choice for recovering files from an external hard drive on Mac. It is developed with the most advanced recovery technology, fully supports data recovery from Mac internal and external hard drive.
Best Software for Data Recovery from External Hard Drive on Mac
- Supports find all your deleted files from an external hard drive on Mac, such as graphics, videos, audio files, emails, documents, and more.
- Two scanning modes that guarantee to help you completely restore files from external hard drive on Mac in 3 steps.
- It can recover deleted files from SD card, Mac hard drive, external hard disk, SSD, USB drive, and digital camera.
- It can retrieve permanently deleted files on Mac due to accidental deletion, drive formatting, media error, access denied virus attack, etc.
How to Recover Files from External Hard Drive on Mac
Use a digital cable to connect your drive with a Mac computer, letting the Mac detects the device. Before you finish the files recovery from the external hard drive on Mac, please keep the device tightly connected to your Mac. If not, it will fail to find files on external hard drive under macOS.
- Install the iBeesoft Data Recovery for Mac
- Select file types you want find
- Select Your External Hard Drive to Scan
- Preview and click the "Recover" button to get back deleted files from the External disk on Mac
Click the download button below to download the Mac version of external hard drive recovery software for your Mac. it is virus-free, please feel free to install it on your Mac as the way you install another tool. It is fully compatible with the latest Mac OS X. If you have a Windows PC, you can download and install the Windows version as well.
To get back deleted files from external disk on Mac, launch this Mac hard drive recovery program. In the startup window, all supported files are selected and the software is ready to scan them all from the external hard drive on Mac for you. To shorten the scanning process and find the target files as soon as possible, please uncheck the unwanted file types. Click "Start" to next.
In the next window, you can see all drives of your Mac as well as available external hard disk are displayed there. Select the external hard drive from where you want to recover lost files and click "Scan".
It takes a few minutes for the software to scan for the lost files on the drive. The longer it takes, it means numerous files are there. Be patient for the tool to finish the scanning process. Then it finished, check the file category on the left side of the result window as well as the file extension. Next, you can see the filtered files according to what you have chosen. When find the target files, check them and click "Recover" to save them to your Mac.
Things to Pay Attention to for Recovering Files from External Hard Drive on Mac:
Whether what causes the data loss in the external hard drive, the sooner you recover them, the better result you’ll get. Whether intentional or unintentional deletion, the files are still on the external hard drive, invisible but waiting to be replaced by new data. The sooner you find it out and do the recovery, then the chances to get them are increased. However, if you continue to use the external hard drive after losing the data, and not the recovery process at the first place, then you’ll delete the files permanently without noticeable.
Part 4. Recover Deleted Files from External Hard Drive on Mac for free with Local Data Recovery Service
If your external disk is in warranty, you can contact the official support asking them whether they can provide data recovery service. If they can, they may do the data recovery online or ask you to go the local data recovery service.
Tips: If you know very well how you lost the files, you may prevent it happen again by backing up files or use the external drive carefully. Learn the scenarios for data loss from external hard drives and know how to prevent it beforehand.
Scenarios for Data Loss in External Hard Drives
- Accidently or intentionally deleted the files on an external hard disk, only to find you need them back.
- Due to reading error or damaged, you can’t open the external hard drive on Mac/PC.
- The virus attacked the hard drive, which caused a warning on your Mac/PC, not allowing you to open or use the files on the external hard drive at all.
- Due to pulling out the external disk during use.