How to Fix iMessage Disappearing Messages in 2023
For many iPhone users, iMessage is an essential part of daily communication. You can send SMS, pictures, audio, and video messages to your friends and relatives. However, just like any other application, it can also malfunction, causing messages to disappear. However, before getting worried about losing your messages, this blog provides several easy-fix iMessage disappearing messages that you can try.
- Quick Navigation
- Part 1. Why Are My iMessages Disappearing
- Part 2. How Fix iMessages Disappeared on iPhone
- Part 3. How to Avoid iMessage Disappearing Messages
- Part 4. FAQs
Why Are My iMessages Disappearing
Imagine opening your iMessage app only to find that all of your conversations have vanished without a trace. The initial frustration is quickly followed by confusion as you wonder why it happened in the first place. There are a variety of reasons why your iMessage disappeared:
- 💢 The iPhone storage space is full, or the old messages saved beyond the maximum time limit automatically cause the system to remove them.
- ⚠️ Blocking messages from a specific user will also make a person's iMessage history gone.
- ❌ Also, accidentally deleting or using wrongly used cleaning tools can cause the same problem.
- 📋 Lastly, unavailable network services, incorrect settings, incorrect synchronization, iOS update errors, etc., may cause iMessage disappearing messages.
Regardless of the cause, losing access to a conversation can feel like you've lost a part of yourself, mainly if it contains essential information or sentimental value. Rest assured, there are ways to fix my iMessage messages disappeared, but in the meantime, it's important to take a deep breath and figure out the next steps to get them back.
How Fix iMessages Disappeared on iPhone
Have you ever experienced the dreaded disappearance of your messages on your iPhone? All your conversations with your friends and family just vanished into thin air! Don't worry, though, because you're not alone in this. Many iPhone users have encountered this issue. However, there are a few simple solutions that you can try to recover your iMessages. By following a few troubleshooting steps, you can restore your essential conversations. So, don't panic, and read on to find out how to fix iMessage missing messages on your iPhone!
Ways 1. Check if iPhone Storage Space Is Enough to Save Messages
To keep iOS running smoothly, the system will not save the messages you receive if your iPhone storage space is less than 5%. To do this, follow the steps below to avoid iMessage disappeared after sending.
- Navigate to Settings > General > iPhone Storage.
- Check the status of the space; if it is full, you can uninstall unnecessary programs or remove some unneeded photos/videos.
Tip: You can also enable "Offload Unused Apps" to automate this task.
Ways 2. Re-enable Message Service
Sometimes a mess in the Message program can also cause "all my iMessages disappeared on iPhone." Therefore, you can reactivate it.
- Open Settings and scroll down to find Messages.
- After opening it, click the switch behind iMessage and MMS Messaging to close this service.
- Re-enable them after waiting 30 seconds.
- Open the Messages app to check if the disappearing message is displayed.
Ways 3. Resync iCloud Messages
iCloud sync errors, server downtime, or congestion in your area can prevent the program from making indexing requests, which can also cause your iPhone iMessage disappeared. For this, you can restart iCloud sync.
- Open Settings and tap User Information at the top.
- Find iCloud and click it on.
- Find Messages and tap the post slider to turn it off.
- Wait for 1 minute and then enable the message. At this time, it will re-establish the connection to synchronize your messages.
Ways 4. Keep Messages on your iPhone "Forever"
If the most recently received messages are still there, but the old ones disappear, then the maximum storage time may be exceeded. To avoid the same problem from happening again, use the following steps to save your messages forever.
- Go to your Phone's settings and scroll down to messages
- Once you are in the iMessage setting, scroll down
- Under Message History, go to Keep iMessage.
- Your choices are 30 days, 1 Year, or Forever. Choose "Forever" to solve the "iPhone text messages disappeared" problem.
As for the voice iMessage, the first two steps are the same (Go to your Phone's setting > Scroll down to messages), but when you are in the iMessage setting, under Audio Messages, you can choose either "After 2 minutes" or "Never." Choose "Never" to store the iMessage voice message forever.
Ways 5. Recover iMessage Disappearing Messages
"Why are my iMessages disappearing?" Sometimes you accidentally delete them without realizing it and mistakenly think the iMessage history disappeared. However, deleting doesn't mean losing them forever. Therefore, you can still retrieve them using the following method.
Modes 1. Check Recently Deleted
- Open the Messages app and click Edit > Show Recently Deleted.
- Go through the list and find the message you mistakenly thought was gone.
- Select the target items and click Recover in the lower right corner of the screen to re-save them.
Tip: this way can also help you solve the problem of iMessage photos not showing.
Modes 2. Use Software to Recover iMessage Disappeared on iPhone
If the messages aren't disappearing from Recently Deleted, then don't worry. You can also rely on iPhone recovery software that uses the latest engraving technology to retrieve missing iMessages if they were ever stored. It also helps you recover permanently deleted photos on iPhone without Backup.
- Download and install iBeesoft iPhone Data Recovery.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer.
- Launch it and choose "Recover from iOS Device."
- Click the "Scan" button beside your iPhone.
- Select your disappeared message and click the "Recover" button to save it.
Tip: If you have an iTunes/iCloud backup, you can also select the corresponding recovery mode to retrieve messages that disappeared on your iPhone. iBeesoft iPhone Data Recovery will only extract the content you selected instead of restoring all backup items.
Ways 6. Other Solutions to Fix iMessage Disappearing Messages
Compared to other fixes, the following may work but requires luck or prerequisites.
- 🚫 One solution is to turn off "Low-Quality Image Mode" in iMessage settings.
- 🔄 Try restarting your iPhone or Message (need to delete the process). This can solve the iMessages disappearing due to system/program confusion.
- 🌐 Try to reconnect to the network. You must go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This can help resolve any connectivity issues causing messages to disappear.
- 🔽 Ensure you have the latest version of iOS installed, as updates often include bug fixes for messaging issues.
- ✔️ Finally, you can restore your iPhone if iCloud backup is enabled. This will effectively resolve any unknown iMessage disappeared errors.
How to Avoid iMessage Disappearing Messages
Have you ever opened your iMessages only to find that all your messages have disappeared? It's a frustrating experience that can leave you feeling lost and disconnected from your contacts. Fortunately, there are a few simple steps that you can take to avoid this situation.
- 📥 First, ensure your device is updated to the latest version of iMessage. This will ensure that any bugs or glitches that might cause messages to disappear are addressed.
- 🎏 Additionally, regularly backing up your messages to iCloud or iTunes can help to safeguard them in case of data loss.
- ⚙️ Finally, if you notice that messages have disappeared, try restarting your iPhone or signing out of your Apple ID and then back in again.
By taking these tips, you can minimize the chances of losing important messages and stay connected with the people most matter.
The time to save the message is up to you. You can choose 30 days, one year, or forever in the settings.
Yes. Usually, messages will be automatically deleted according to the retention time you set. But the system will not save new messages if your iPhone storage space is full.
Messages will be removed if they are kept longer than the maximum time limit. This may be the cause of your iMessage history gone.
Losing important messages can be a frustrating experience, but don't lose hope just yet. There may still be a chance to get them back. Apple's iMessage service automatically saves your messages to iCloud, meaning a backup could still exist. Third-party data recovery software like iBeesoft iPhone Data Recovery, PhoneRescue, or Dr. Fone can help recover deleted messages.
If you like to keep track of all your messages, you may wonder whether it's possible to retrieve your iMessage history. The good news is that it is possible, although the steps involved will vary depending on your device. You can go to your Settings app and find the Messages option for iPhone users. From there, you can turn on the "Messages in iCloud" feature, automatically storing your message history online. Other devices may require different methods, but with some detective work, you should be able to locate your iMessage history and preserve it for posterity.
No problem. In case of no backup, you can use iBeesoft iPhone recovery software to retrieve deleted text messages on iPhone without backup. You need to connect your iPhone to your computer and use it to scan the device.
iMessage automatically stores your text messages and iMessages (sent between Apple devices) so you can access them later. You can access messages from years ago if you want to. Finding the exact conversation, you're looking for is easy with the option to search for specific keywords or phrases. So, whether you're revisiting old conversations for nostalgia or need to reference an old message for work, rest assured that iMessage has got you covered.
iMessage is a convenient way to stay in touch with friends and family. However, it can be frustrating when those messages suddenly disappear. If you're experiencing this issue, don't worry - this blog post offers several potential ways to fix iMessage disappearing messages. You can get back to your conversations quickly with a few simple steps.