How to Recover Hidden Files and Folders by Virus
At some point, almost every computer gets attacked by a virus that somehow affects the files. If you are also stuck in a situation where the files are hidden or become inaccessible after a virus attack, then you need professional help. Here, we will tell you what you should do to recover hidden files and folders due to virus. There are two simple ways that you need to follow, and the problem will cease to exist.
Part 1. How to Recover Hidden Files and Folders due to Virus
The foremost thing to do when you want to recover hidden files is to get your hands on a professional data recovery tool. That’s why we are introducing you to iBeesoft Data Recovery. Not only can this software tell you how to recover files hidden by a virus, but it also gives you a safe and effective recovery option for all data loss scenarios. The tool has two scanning modes so that users can always find the files they are looking for.
Your Safe & Effective File Recovery Program
- 100% safe and effective hidden file recovery software for all storage devices, including hard disk, partitions, memory card, external hard drive, RAW drive, USB drive, etc.
- Recover files that are hidden due to deletion, lost partition, formatting, wrongful operation, virus attack, and even system crash.
- The simple three-step process for recovery with a detailed guide. A wide array of support for various file systems, file types, and formats. It can easily show hidden files on Mac or Windows PC.
You can find the download link for the software on the official page for both Windows & Mac OS. Once you have the software, follow the steps on how to recover hidden files and folders by a virus with iBeesoft Data recovery.
Step 1: Select File Types
As you launch the software, you will see a "Start" button on the screen along with multiple file types. By default, all files are selected, but you can choose the type of file according to preferences. Click on the Start button to move to the next screen.
Step 2: Select hidden files or folders location
Now, you have to specify the location of the files from where they disappeared. As you select the location and hit the "Scan" button, the program will initiate the process and look for the files or folders that are hidden.
Step 3: Recover Hidden files or folders
As soon as the scan finishes, the files will be displayed on the screen sorted as per file type. Select as many files as you wish to retrieve and press the "Recover" button to download them on the system.
If the Quick scan mode doesn’t show you relevant results, then you can switch to the "Deep Scan" mode to look deeper. It will help you fully recover hidden folder/file in Windows 7, 8, 10 and macOS. Under all circumstances, make sure that you never save the files in the previous location as it could lead to data overwrite and corruption.
Part 2. How to Recover Files Hidden by Virus with Command Prompt
Before you make an attempt to recover the hidden files by a virus, it is crucial that you remove the virus from the storage device. If you don’t get rid of the virus, then it will continue messing with the files and make them inaccessible. To avoid this from happening, you can rely on the Windows Command prompt utility. The command prompt will delete the virus from the system, and then you can follow the guide on how to recover files hidden by the virus.
Step 1: Plug the storage device into the system and allow access. Go to the start menu and type "cmd" in the search bar. You will see the Command prompt utility on the top. Select and press enter to open the cmd window.
Step 2: At first, begin with the Check Disk command to ensure that the device is infected. Type: "Chkdsk G: /f" and press Enter key.
Step 3: Type Y and hit Enter. Then type G: and again hit enter. At last, type the command: "attrib –s –h –r /s /d*.*" and press Enter. Now, you can use the Command prompt to recover deleted files.
This command will retrieve the hidden files present in a separate folder so that you can access them. While doing so, Command Prompt will repair the infected drive so that you don’t have to face the same problem again. But sometimes, the repair doesn’t exactly save your files from being lost or deleted. And that’s why iBeesoft Data Recovery software is here.
Part 3. Advantages & Disadvantages of the Above Methods
Both Command Prompt and iBeesoft Data Recovery have the ability to recover the files that get hidden due to a virus attack. And yet, both these software lacks some key features that might come in handy during data loss scenarios. You can recover hidden files and folders due to virus; still, it will be helpful to know which method is more reliable.
- Command Prompt
- Completely free recovery tool
- Applicable for lost, hidden and virus-infected files
- Device support includes windows drive, external HDD, USB, SD card, etc
- Powerful built-in utility available for all Windows system
- File restore is restricted to a limited number of files
- Users need to be careful while using the commands as a tiny mistake can lead to more significant issues
- Requires manual operation for recovery as users have to extract every single file
- iBeesoft Data Recovery
- Don’t have a requirement of any manual operation
- Provide security and a 100% guarantee of file recovery
- Capable of retrieving files lost due to any reason, including formatting or crashed drive
- Provide a selective recovery feature that saves a lot of time and effort
- Sometimes, scanning and recovery take a while if the files are large
- Some features are limited to the paid version of the software only
Now you know the most effective methods to recover hidden files and folders due to virus. Choose the method according to your preferences. Still, we recommend using iBeesoft Data Recovery as it is capable enough to restore files that are erased from the storage device.