How to Delete Files Permanently Using Command-Line
If you intend to delete files from your Windows computer, then the easiest way is to press the "Delete" key on your keyboard. However, it does not help in deleting the files permanently from the computer. Nonetheless, you can opt for Windows command to permanently delete files to ensure privacy and safety.
What Are the Advantages of Deleting Files with Command-Line?
The command prompt feature in Windows operating system helps you delete files using simple instructions. With the help of the PowerShell and command prompt, you can do anything with simple codes. Additionally, erasing multiple files or a single file from a local disk on the hard drive is not tedious.
When you use the "Delete" key, you are not deleting the file but removing the indexing capability and making the file invisible to the operating system. Permanently delete files command line helps in removing them from the system without a trace. It means you cannot get back the data. You can use the command prompt to delete a single file, files with a particular extension, or remove read-only files.
Guide to How to Delete Files Using Command Prompt
As you have understood the importance of the Windows command prompt and its ability to delete files using a set of instructions, it is time to learn how to delete files permanently using cmd prompt. The following steps are the ones you will follow to execute the commands that help in erasing files from your computer:
1. How to permanently delete a single file with CMD
- Open the command prompt using the search feature from the start menu.
- In the cmd screen, use the "cd" command to go to the folder containing the file that you like to delete. such as: "cd c:\users\vamsi\desktop\del".
- Once you are within the folder, you can see in the command prompt window, enter, and execute the following command. Remember to replace the (image-1.png) with the original filename that you like to erase.
2. How to permanently delete multiple files with command line
2.1 Mentioning Names Manually
- Start the command prompt and head to the location containing the files that you like to remove.
- Execute the below command to remove the files from the folder.
2.2 Bulk Delete Files
You will be using the (*) wildcard feature to delete a collection of files from a folder. You can delete files containing a specific name, extension, etc. The following is the procedure:
Launch the command prompt from the start menu and enter the following command. Windows will show a warning message. Press "Y" and "Enter" to execute the command.
Note: In the above command, you can replace the "image" with any other name.
3. Delete File with Particular Extension
The command will help you remove all the files, followed by the file extension that you want to remove from the computer.
Note: You can replace the ".png" with another file extension to delete files with ease.
4. Deleting Read-only Files
As read-only files are difficult to delete, you have to enter different commands to access the files and then remove them from the computer.
- Open the command prompt and head to the folder containing the read-only file/files.
- Use the following command:
Note: Enter the original file name after "/f"
You can delete files in command prompt using the above steps. You can opt for a single file, multiple files, or a file extension. It all relies on what you like to remove and the quantity. Even after going through such a pain, it is possible to recover the files using recovery programs.
Delete files and directories using CMD is a simple task. However, they still reside in memory. The best alternative to the Windows command prompt is iBeesoft File Shredder. With the assistance provided by the File Shredder from iBeesoft, you will remove or wipe away the contents permanently. Even if you use a third-party recovery program, you will never get back the content. It, thus, enhances the protection of the data, privacy, and safety.
As an alternative to permanently delete files Windows command line, best file eraser tool can removes the files and other contents with high efficiency. The irreversible action ensures that it is providing complete privacy and security to your data. You will be protecting your privacy and avoiding leakage of sensitive information.
How to Use iBeesoft File Shredder to Permanently Delete Files on Windows PC
Although you can delete files permanently using CMD, recovering them is possible with recovery software, like iBeesoft Data Recovery. Therefore, choosing iBeesoft File Shredder is an effective medium for permanently erasing data and protecting privacy. The following are the steps to use the program:
- iBeesoft is offering the File Shredder program as a trial version. You can click the DOWNLOAD button download the installation file and complete the installation. You will be using the icon appearing on the desktop to launch the program.
- The main screen of the iBeesoft File Shredder program contains a large "+" sign. You can click the symbol to navigate to the folder containing the files that you like to erase permanently from the computer. You can choose multiple files, folders, or even a partition. You can also select the number of times that you like to repeat the process.
- Choose the file, files, folder, folders, or a partition from the navigation window. You can then press the "Shred Now" button to rermanently delete files.
- Depending on the number of files selected, and the number of times you opted to repeat the shredding process, the time to complete the process varies from one person to another. You will be noticing the shredding percentage on screen. Wait until the process is complete. Upon completion, the selected files will no longer appear on your system, and you cannot recover them in any case. Try the software to delete files permanently now!!!