Windows 10 Undelete: How to Restore Deleted Files on Windows 10
Everyone is no stranger to Windows 10. It may be the computer system you use in your daily work. Although the Win10 system has improved dramatically in terms of ease of use and security, errors will inevitably occur during use. Like, you mistakenly removed your essential photos, videos, documents, music files, and more from your PC and emptied the recycle bin. Fortunately, those files can be recovered on Windows 10 through simple methods.
Although you might receive a notification that it has been wiped and you can't get those files on your PC, this doesn't mean you can't access them. Instead, there are trusted third-party tools like iBeesoft Data Recovery to recover permanently deleted files in Windows 11, 10, 8, and 7.
The primary aim behind this piece is to help you to know how to restore deleted files on Windows 10. Choose the most feasible method as per your requirement.
- Quick Navigation
- Part 1. Recover Permanently Deleted Files Using Windows 10 Data Recovery Software (High Success recovery Rate)
- Part 2. 5 Ways to Restore Deleted Files in Windows 10 for Free
- Part 3. Tips for Better to Retrieve Deleted Files in Windows 10
Part 1. Recover Permanently Deleted Files Using Windows 10 Data Recovery Software
Most Windows 10 users have faced problems that cause significant data loss because of mistakenly pressing the Shift + Del keys, formatting the drive, emptying your recycle bin, and deleting the partition.
If you need to restore your deleted items, the professional and secure way is to use a top-class Windows 10 undelete program like iBeesoft Data Recovery. Such tools improve your chance of looking for permanently deleted files from Windows 10.
It is exclusively made for users to recover data from RAW drives, disks, USB drives, SD cards, etc. Compared with any other software, iBeesoft is user-friendly.
To Recover Permanently Deleted Files using iBeesoft Data Recovery:
- Install and launch iBeesoft Data Recovery. This software is free to download. It's highly compatible with every Windows operating system (OS).
- (Optional) In the first screenshot, if you want to resume a specific file type, then you can click "go to setting" to filter the file type to cancel the scan time.
- Next, users are instructed to locate the drive from where they lost their files. Then, connect it to the system if you require restoring files from the USB Drive. Next, select it and tap "Scan."
- After completing the scanning procedure, you can check all the recoverable files. Select each of them and preview if they are the files you require. Then, pick them and tap "Recover" to save them on your system.
Part 2. 5 Ways to Restore Deleted Files in Windows 10 for Free
Method 1. Get Back Files using Undo Delete
Many users prefer this quick way to recover their previously deleted files, which Ctrl+Z can do. Execute the step-by-step guide below to learn how to restore deleted files on Windows 10 free.
- Go to your folder and press right-tap where your file was lost.
- Press 'Undo Delete' to recover your file to the original folder.
Pro Tip: Remember that the Undo delete method only works if your recent document or file was removed. The technique doesn't work if you restart your PC after losing your file.
Method 2. Restore Deleted Files from Recycle Bin in Windows 10
After file loss, getting deleted files from Recycle bin is the first thought that crosses every user's mind. And you can successfully recover these files with ease if you haven't emptied your recycle bin.
- On your desktop, tap Select "Recycle bin."
- In the Recycle Bin, select all the required deleted items and tap on the 'Restore the select items' options.
All the deleted files will be recovered to your original folder on your Windows 10 PC.
Note: This method only works when your recycle bin is not emptied after file deleting.
Method 3. Free Retrieve Deleted Files with Windows Built-in Backup & Recovery Features
To restore Deleted Files from System Image:
Windows Built-in Backup & Recovery features allow users to have a copy of the overall Windows 10 operating system by creating a System Image backup. Even though its primary aim is not for specific documents and file backup, you can still try it as a last resort to recover your deleted files in an emergency.
- Visit the Start menu, then 'settings,' and tap Enter on the keyboard.
- Select Security & Update and opt for 'recovery' from the options on your left list.
- Save the work. Click on the 'restart now' icon under the Advanced startup.
- Go for Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > See more recovery options > System Image.
- Search for your System Image backup file and press Next. Select all the additional restore options and go to next.
- Preview all the necessary system image requirements and proceed with 'Finish' to start with the recovery procedure.
To Recover Deleted Files from the Previous Version
You can also try to recover your Windows 10 files for free with the help of the 'previous versions' feature as long as you have enabled this function before file deletion.
- Search your folder and right-tap on the folder consisting of all the permanently deleted files.
- Tap on "Restore previous versions."
- Select all the files which you require. Tap "Restore."
If your screen flashes with a Windows warning that it already has a folder or a file with the same name, choose to replace your file in the location to overwrite it. Or for a new name for your file.
To recover Deleted Files from File History Backup
File History is the in-built restore tool for your Windows systems. If you use this option, it will do a backup of all your files or folders.
- Head to the Control Panel, Tap on "File History."
- In the Window, select the "Restore personal files" icon in your left menu.
- You can easily view the files in the 'File History' as per the backup time. Choose the file you removed accidentally, right tap on the green icon. Click on "Save as."
Pro Tip: It's essential to have a secondary drive to restore your data: it can either be an external USB Drive or a regular hard drive. Make sure to know where all the lost files were stored.
Method 4. Use Windows File Recovery Tool
You canuse the Windows File Recovery tool if you have recently updated the Windows 10 system. Make sure to install the application from the Microsoft Store. This is one of Microsoft's reliable, accessible data recovery software.
Being a command-line tool, it's different from any other program. This means instead of using a familiar system of menus and icons, it's text-based, and not every user is comfortable with it.
To Recover Deleted Files in Windows 10 with Windows File Recovery Tool:
- Visit the 'Microsoft Store application. Look for the Windows File Recovery. Download & install the application by tapping on the 'Get' icon.
- Access the Windows File Recovery tool from your start menu shortcut.
- Follow the syntax given below to start the procedure of recovering your deleted files. The command prompt is: winfr source-drive: destination-drive: [/switches]. For instance: winfr C: D: /n \Users\Documents\test.Docx. This specific command will restore all the lost Word documents named test stored on your C: drive by saving them to your D: drive.
- Lastly, execute the on-screen instructions to get done with recovering deleted files in Windows 10 free.
Method 5. Recover Deleted Files in Windows 10 Using CMD Command Prompt
The command prompt is the most trusted method to undelete files in Windows free. You need to perform different command prompts to complete the restoration task successfully.
- In the opened command prompt Window, enter the following command: start shell:RecycleBinFolder & tap on the Entering key. For instance, C:\> start shell:RecycleBinFolder
- Finally, select the required files to recover all of them.
Part 3. Tips for Better to Retrieve Deleted Files in Windows 10
- ⛔ It is best not to save new files in this driver after deleting them. Because these actions may overwrite the lost data, more operations will result in fewer chances to recover permanently deleted files in Windows 10.
- 💽 If crucial data is deleted from SSD, please disable TRIM immediately.
- 🚿 After the data is lost from a drive, do not defragment this drive. The reason is that the defragmenting process is a process of moving data, just like the space in the library is filled with other books, so the original text is replaced by others. This way, the files you deleted will be destroyed.
At times, you may accidentally delete some crucial data. That's why it's necessary to know the methods to get them back. Hence, this article briefly describes restoring deleted files on Windows 10 using simple techniques. If the above ways fail to help you, use a reliable third-party tool like the iBeesoft Data Recovery tool to ensure guaranteed results.
Frequently Asked Questions
Deleted files don't disappear. When we delete data, the system marks the disk occupied by the file as free space and hides the file itself. It is still there. Therefore, retrieval software is available to find it. But it will not be there forever and may be replaced if there is new data to save. At this point, it will disappear forever. So, when you delete items accidentally, please make deleted file recovery in Windows 11/10/8/7 and Mac as soon as possible.
Fortunately, you can recover permanently deleted files in Windows 10 with professional data recovery software, provided you take care of one condition. Stop using your device immediately if you need to access your Windows 10 permanently deleted documents. Otherwise, data may get overwritten, and you may lose them forever.
- Go to the Start menu.
- Type 'restore files' and tap Enter on the keyboard.
- Search for your folder where all the deleted files are present.
- Choose the 'restore' icon to recover all the Windows 10 files in their original place.
Click the Windows key. In your search box, enter Windows File Recovery and then choose Windows File Recovery. Then, allow this application to make changes to the device. Click 'Yes.' To recover your files, you can opt for either of the two basic modes: Regular and Extensive.
Usually, the deleted files are stored in the Recycle bin. But If you empty it or it is more than 30 days old. They are kept hidden in the sector until new data overwrites them. So you can recover deleted files in Windows 10 with file recovery software.
Yes. After emptying the Recycle Bin, we cannot get deleted files back manually. But iBeesoft Data Recovery can do the job. Here are the steps to retrieve your files:
- Launch iBeesoft Data Recovery
- Select Recycle Bin to scan
- Select target file to save
If you habitually back up essential data, you can extract the backup files to retrieve them when disaster strikes. If the file is not the current version, you can use free data recovery software to help you. Please proceed with the below steps:
- Download and install iBeesoft Free Data Recover
- Run it and select the folder where the deleted files are located to scan
- Preview found file
- Save it to the drive again