How to Format HDD/Disk/Hard Drive using CMD
It is crucial to format HDD before using. Irrespective of the operating system, there are several ways through which one can perform the formatting action. Among them, the easiest and most effective way is to use the Command prompt to format hard drive or format disk using CMD. However, every operating system has a different approach to manage the HDD, and only a formatted disk structure is recognizable. After formatting a hard drive, one can install the OS and create new partitions to store data.
- Quick Navigation
- Part #1: Step-by-step Guide for How to Format Disk using CMD
- Part #2: How to Recover Files after CMD to Format Drive
Part #1: Step-by-step Guide for How to Format Disk using CMD
The following is the procedure that helps anyone obtain the right answer to how to format hard drive using CMD. It is advisable to follow the steps carefully to avoid mistakes.
1. Type "cmd" in the search box, which is at the bottom left corner of the screen. The list will display Command Prompt as the matching application. Select the same, right click on it, and click on "Run as administrator".
2. Once the Command Prompt window opens, input "diskpart" and press enter.
3. Input "list disk" and press enter. The command will display all the disk drives along with the partitions and external disk drives connected to the system.
5. Now, input "clean" in the command box. The step will help the computer to clean all the files and folder present on the disk, then you can successfully complete format hard disk using CMD.
4. Each of the drives has a particular disk number. Input "Select disk" with disk number. For example, "select disk 0." The input is conveying the message to the system to select disk 0 and format the same.
5. Now, input "clean" in the command box. The step will help the computer to clean all the files and folder present on the disk, then you can successfully complete format drive using CMD.
6. Input "create partition primary" in the command box and press enter.
7. Once the diskpart command successfully creates the needed partition, input "format fs=ntfs or format fs=exfat" and hit the enter key. The command is telling the diskpart to format the new drive with either NTFS or exFAT file system.
8. Input "assign" and choose a drive letter to assign the same to the newly created partition or hard drive.
The above steps are simple and help anybody to format HDD using CMD or format external hard disk using CMD. However, the downside to the procedure is that it will erase complete data present on the hard drive or the selected partition on the hard drive.
Part #2: How to Recover Files after CMD to Format Drive
The Command prompt to format a hard drive is a simple process. But, recovering lost files after format disk using CMD requires the use of Command prompt format hard disk recovery software. At this point, the best tool to perform this action is iBeesoft Data Recovery. It possesses the great capability to restore the data even after people used command prompt to erase hard drive data.
iBeesoft Data Recovery software is a reliable program that helps in retrieving lost, corrupted or data from HDDs, USB drives, external hard disks after CMD format in a few simple steps. The software uses a robust algorithm that scans the selected drive and displays the recoverable files and folders. User can then proceed by choosing the records they wish to recover. The best element of the software is its strength to scan irrespective of the scenario under which there was a loss of data. Furthermore, it provides assistance to scan any hard disk and external hard drives and flash drives.
Your Safe & Effective Format Drive Recovery Tool
- It provides two scan modes can easily and completely unformat hard drive or other drive in Windows PC or Mac.
- Recovery of hard drive data lost due to format HDD using CMD, deleted/lost partitions, displaying the file system as RAW, virus attack, reinstallation of operating system and other unknown reasons.
- The format drive recovery software can also recovery of deleted files where the user moved the files to Recycle Bin and clear it, used "Shift+Delete" key, or just used the Delete button.
Guide to Recover Formatted Hard Drive using iBeesoft Data Recovery
Even after completing format hard drive from command prompt Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 and Windows XP action, with the assistance of format recovery program, it is possible to get back the lost data after format drive using CMD in a few simple steps.
Step 1: The first step involves downloading and installing the software. Just click the DOWNLOAD button to get the software installation file. Upon clicking the execution file, one will complete the installation of the program and start to recover data after format hard disk using CMD.
Step 2: After completion, the program creates a shortcut on the desktop. Clicking the icon will launch the program.
Step 3: iBeesoft shows all the partitions of the hard drive including any external storage devices connected to the system. Users have to pick the location to allow the application to perform the scan and complete the action of recovering the data after format hard disk using CMD. Press the "Scan" button from the same screen to begin the scanning process. The time to complete the process depends on the amount of the data in the selected partition.
Step 4: After completion of the scan, the application will display them in a new window. The window consists of three columns – the left that shows the directory in tree formation, the center that shows the recoverable files, and the right that shows the thumbnails of the selected files. Users can pick the needed files from the center of the window or click an entire folder from the left side where the application places files according to their file system – pictures, videos, audio, documents, and so on. After completion of the selected files or folder, press the "Recover" button. The program will ask for a location on the system to begin the recovery process. Ensure to choose a different drive/location other than the formatted partition.
You can also follow this steps to recover deleted files from an external hard drive, HDD/SSD, card and more.