"How do I retrieve a deleted text file? It seems I removed it from the desktop. however, I did not find it in the recycle bin."
You accidentally deleted text files from your Windows PC or a USB flash drive? And sometimes you may close a text file you were working on without saving it. It’s also the main reason for why text files are lost. Here in the following, you can follow the 4 steps for how to recover deleted or unsaved text files in Windows 10 or Windows 11. If you carefully followed the steps, the chance to recover deleted text files in Windows 10 PC is quite big.
If you had used NotePad or Notepad ++ to edit the text file and deleted it, then you can make use of the temp files to recover the deleted or unsaved text files in Windows 11/10. The steps are quite simple and easy.
1. In the Windows 11/10 search bar, which is at the bottom left, type in %AppData% and press Enter button. You have opened the location C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming.
2. Type in the specific file name of the text file you want to recover in the search box on the top right corner and press Enter.
3. Select the latest version of your files in .asd or .tmp file format.
4. Copy and paste the files to the desktop. After then, change the file extension .asd or .tmp as .txt. That’s it!
it works if you have just deleted a text file with NotePad or NotePad++ not a long time again. You know, temp files are temporary files. They’re temporarily saved there. If this way does not work, try the next step.
In Windows 11/10, there is a built-in feature as File History, which is widely used for users to retrieve the previous version of documents. If you clearly know where the deleted text files were saved, then you can try to recover deleted text files in the steps below.
1. Go to the folder where you had saved the deleted text files.
2. Right-click on the folder and select Restore Previous Versions.
3. In the previous versions of the file, check the details, making sure you have the file you need.
4. Select the version you need and click Restore.
Please note that only you had enabled the Restore System Settings and Previous Versions of Files feature, then you can follow the above-mentioned way to recover deleted text files in Windows 11 or 10. If not, you have to go to the next step. To prevent future data loss, you can enable the feature by following the steps below.
1. Click the Start button at the bottom left and select Control Panel, navigate to System and Security > System.
2. Select System Protection and select your drive and click Configure.
3. In the new window, choose Restore System Settings and Previous Versions of Files and click OK to recover unsaved text files.
If you have backed up your computer, then you can retrieve deleted text files in Windows 10 by restoring them from the Windows backup file.
1. Click Start button > Settings.
2. Select Update & Security > Backup > More options.
3. Click Restore files from a current backup and you will need to select a backup file from the list to restore the lost files.
Please note that though you can restore deleted files from Windows backup files. however, it will erase the current files as well. It’s a little risky. If you do not want any current data lost, then it’s a great idea to back up the current files or try step 4 to recover deleted text files in Windows 10/11 PC.
No matter your text files are deleted due to deletion, hard drive formatting, partition deletion, or system crash, you can make use of iBeesoft Data Recovery software to recover permanently deleted text files from Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, and XP. The software is specially designed for users to rescue data from computers and external hard drives.
1. Download and install the data recovery software on your Windows 11/10 PC. Launch the software, note that all file types are by default checked. To recover deleted text files Windows 10, select Documents. Click "Start" to start the recovering process.
2. Select the location to look for text files in windows. This depends on where the text file was initially saved. The software will scan the specified location, external storage, or the full hard drive to locate the lost data. It will list the items it searches. You don’t have to select the system partition for unique lost data locations such as libraries, favorites, or desktops. just select the drive, it’s done. Click "Scan" to recover deleted files in Windows 10.
3. Preview and recover deleted text files. When the Quick Scan finishes, it displays the scan result and you can preview this at the upper part of the window. You can use the Deep Scan button to find more data if you can’t find what you’re looking for. When done, the "Recover" to restore deleted files in Windows 10 and other OS.
The above-mentioned are the three methods you can explore to recover text files in Windows. The iBeesoft Data Recovery software is the most recommended because it has nothing to do with whether you shut down your PC or not after the loss of data. It saves you time and preventing the deleted text files from being overwritten permanently.