Archive File Recovery | How to Recover Deleted Zip/Rar Files in Windows 11/10
ZIP/RAR files are archive files using a compressed format. These two formats pack multiple documents, pictures, or other items into a convenient single file, accommodating large amounts of data with minimal space requirements. They are also easier to transfer from one device to another or send as attachments. However, ZIP/RAR files can become easily lost and deleted, just like all other computer files.
If you're searching for practical solutions to recover deleted Zip Rar/Zip files in Windows 11/10/7, you've come to the right place. For this, we will office a comprehensive guide that you can use specialized software or some free techniques to retrieve archived files quickly and efficiently. Don't hesitate - let us show you the way!
- Quick Navigation
- Part 1. Can I Restore a Zip/Rar File after Deleted?
- Part 2. 5 Free Ways to Restore Deleted Archive Files on Your PC
- Part 3. 2 Ways to Recover Deleted Zip/Rar Files in Windows 11/10 with Software
- Part 4. How to Enable File History in Windows PC to Avoid Archived Files Loss
- Part 5. Frequently Asked Questions for Zip/Rar File Recovery
Can I Restore a Zip/Rar File after Deleted?
Accidentally deleting an archive file can be a huge bummer, but it doesn't necessarily mean you've lost it forever. With the continuous development of technology, you can not only recover deleted ZIP/RAR files in Windows and macOS but also retrieve lost archive files due to the following reasons. Of course, the premise is that your drive is not physically damaged, and no new data has been saved after the lost items.
- Empty Recycle Bin after removing Zip/Rar files.
- Format your hard drive, volume, USB drive, or another storage device without backup.
- Reinstalling or upgrading your operating system caused your archive files to disappear.
- Malware or virus deleted your Zip/Rar file.
- Drive failure, system crashes, and other reasons make the archive files inaccessible.
In this digitalized world, Zip/Rar files have become traditional media for data storage and have assumed a prominent role in our lives. No matter what causes your Zip/Rar Files to be removed. As long as you take remedial action promptly, you can still regain them. To do this, check out the following methods:
5 Free Ways to Restore Deleted Archive Files on Your PC
It can be incredibly frustrating when you accidentally delete an archive file on your Windows PC that you need. Don't worry, you still have a chance to get the contents of the archive file. How you can recover deleted Zip files for free can be a question of utmost priority if you want to save money on recovery. To do so, please check out our roundup of available and free options.
Ways 1. Restore from Recycle Bin
Before moving ahead with any other solution to recover deleted Rar files, it is better to have a peek at the Recycle bin of your Windows PC. It is where removed items are temporarily stored, and you can retrieve them before emptying them.
- Locate the Recycle bin icon and double-tap it.
- Look for the archive file you are looking for retrieval.
- Once you find the target items, right-click and select the option for "Restore."
- Go to the original location to check the deleted archive file.
Ways 2. Recover Archived Files by File History
From Windows 7, Microsoft has built-in a backup and restore option called File History. If you enable it before deleting archived files, you will recover deleted ZIP/RAR files easily.
- Open the "Control Panel" and navigate to "System & Security" > "File History."
- Click "Restore Personal Files" in the left panel.
- Now, click the left and right arrows to browse your backup items.
- Finally, select the ZIP/RAR files you are looking for recovery. And then click the "Restore" button to save them again.
Ways 3. From the Previous Versions
To retrieve deleted Zip files using this option, you must turn on system protection before the incident occurs. The "Restore Previous Versions" is a copy of files and folders automatically saved as part of the system shadow copy. Therefore, you can also restore files to older versions based on different times.
- Open the folder where the archive file is saved and right-click on the blank area.
- Select "Restore Previous Versions" from the menu. Then you'll be able to check the list of the previous version available for the file.
- Choose a recent version and tap on the 'Open' option. It will allow you to view the contents to ensure it is correct.
- After confirming that this version contains the ZIP or RAR files you need, click the "Restore" option to save them to their original location.
Ways 4. Check Cloud Storage
Suppose you habitually synced your files using Google Drive, OneDrive, or other network drives. At this time, Them will be an available option to recover deleted ZIP Files. However, be careful not to open cloud storage applications directly on your Windows PC. If you do, they will sync your recent changes, which means the copy on the cloud will also disappear. For this, you need to follow the steps below To complete the process:
- Use a browser to open the official website of Cloud Storage and log in to your account.
- Then, by browsing the folders on your cloud, locate your ZIP/RAR files that are missing.
- Finally, re-download them to your computer.
Ways 5. Using System Restore
You can utilize System Restore to find deleted Zip files when the above freeways fail to work. It automatically takes a snapshot of the system to assist in any changes that need undoing, and the PC is to get restored to a previous version.
- Click the "Windows" key and type "create a restore point."
- Find this option in the list and turn it on. Then tap on "System Restore."
- Follow the wizard and select a restore point for the system to complete the archive file recovery process.
There are limitations to the above methods of recovering archive files for free. Don't worry if you don't have specific corresponding conditions. You still have a chance to regain lost Zip or Rar files.
2 Ways to Recover Deleted Zip/Rar Files in Windows 11/10 with Software
If you don't have a backup, losing important archive files can be very frustrating, especially if those files contain critical information or large collections of photos and videos. But don't lose heart; you can also take the help of data recovery software to help retrieve deleted archive files in Windows 11, 10, 7, and more.
Ways 1. Use iBeesoft Data Recovery to Get Back Zip/Rar Files
It’s an all-in-one file recovery tool that can solve most of the complicated data loss issues. With iBeesoft Data Recovery help, you can free yourself from the despair of lost data with a few simple steps.
Your Safe & Effective Archive Recovery Tool
- It can get back RAR or Zip files in Windows/Mac due to accidentally deleted, formatted drives, emptying recycle bin, reset devices, virus attacks, and more.
- The powerful program easily and completely recover deleted files from external hard drive, HDD/SSD, USB flash drive, CF card, and other removable drives.
- It provides a comprehensive archive file recovery solution, even if the item is corrupted when it is lost, iBeesoft data recovery software is still available to automatically repair it.
- Download and install iBeesoft Data Recovery on your Windows PC.
- Run it and click "Go to Settings" to keep only "Archives" selected to save scanning time.
- Select the location where the ZIP/RAR files are saved and click the "Scan" button to start the retrieval progress.
- After locating the disappearing archive file, select it and hit the "Recover" button to save it to a new location.
Ways 2. Retrieve ZIP Files by Windows File Recovery
Microsoft's Windows File Recovery is a command-line recovery tool that helps users recover deleted files in Windows 11, 10, and more. It uses advanced algorithms to extract lost data under almost any circumstances. It's easier to use if you have a technical background.
- Download the Windows File Recovery form Microsoft store.
- Now, in the search box for Windows, type "Windows File Recovery" and make the selection "Run as administrator."
- Type "winfr C: D: /n *.zip" (C is the location of the lost archive file, and D is where it was saved after Zip/Rar recovery.)
- After analysis, you will notice that a folder is created automatically at the D drive and named 'Recovery_data and time.'
- Open it and check your lost data.
The above software is undoubtedly the best way to recover permanently deleted Zip/Rar files in Windows 11/10/8/7 without a backup. If it fails, the archive file may be overwritten with new data and forever disappear. To avoid similar disasters from happening again, you can keep your data safe by enabling Windows PC's built-in backup options.
How to Enable File History in Windows PC to Avoid File Loss
Windows File History is an incredibly useful tool for those looking for an easy way to keep their data safe. When a data loss disaster strikes, it can quickly restore all your essential items so you don't waste valuable time trying to recreate them. You can follow the steps below to complete the process if you haven't enabled it.
- Hit the Window key and navigate to Settings > Updated Security > Backup.
- Click "Add a drive" under the "Back up using the File History" option in the right panel.
- Select a drive in the list to store the copy files on.
- Once you've selected the target disk, click "More options" under "Back up using File History."
- In the backup options, please set the backup time and the folders/drives that need to be backed up.
- After completing the relevant settings, File History will protect your data.
Following the steps above, you can minimize future data loss by regularly backing up important information.
Frequently Asked Questions for Zip/Rar File Recovery
Archive file recovery can be a daunting and intimidating task for individuals who lack experience in data retrieval, but it doesn't have to be. However, with the right tips and tricks, you can get them back quickly and easily. Here, we have collected some frequently asked questions and answers for your reference.
A: If you remove it with the Del key, it will be put into the recycle bin. If you use Shift + Del, then it will be deleted entirely. At this time, if you want to restore deleted archive files in Windows 10/10, then you either have a backup or use data recovery software.
A: Deleting a Zip file may seem like it's lost forever; however, this is only sometimes the case. Even if it has been permanently deleted, there are still data left on the hard drive. With iBeesoft Data Recovery, you can get them back.
A: You can find an old Zip/Rar file by looking for the same in the previous versions.
- Open iBeesoft data recovery software and select a drive to scan
- Preview found items
- Recovery of ZIP/RAR files
A: Yes, the archive files have many extensions, such as .zip, .rar, .7z, .cpt, .egg, and more.
A: Sometimes you may get Recycle bin in your Android device from where you can restore deleted Zip files by following these steps;
- Go to the main menu > Gallery > Tapping on three dots from the right corner.
- Fetch Settings > Recycle Bin.
- Check the required folder and resave them.
A: A: First of all, you can go to trash to check whether there are archive files you deleted. If not, then you can also use file recovery software for Mac to help you.
- Download and install iBeesoft Data Recovery for Mac.
- Filter file types and select a location to start scanning.
- Select your removed archive files and click the Recover button to save them.
Accidentally deleting an archive file can be extremely frustrating. Fortunately, it's not the end of the world. On Windows 10 or 11, there are several potential methods you can use to try and get back your precious source files. But iBeesoft data recovery software is the utmost reliable way to recover deleted Rar/Zip files. It helps you when the files are unavailable in the Recycle Bin, or you do not have a backup.