How to Find/Recover Lost Files after the Upgrade to Windows 11 
"How do I get my files back after upgrading to Windows 11?"
Can’t wait to try Windows 11, and only to find upgrade to Windows 11 lost files? There are 5 steps for you to find and recover lost files after the upgrade to Windows 11. Check out the steps below.
- Quick Navigation
- Step 1. Make Sure You’ve Signed in with a Right Profile!
- Step 2. Look for the Files using Search in Windows 11
- Step 3. Enable a Windows 7/10/8 Administrator Account
- Step 4. Retrieve Lost Files after Windows 11 Update with a Backup File
- Step 5. Recover Lost Files after Windows 11 Upgrade with Data Recovery Software
Step 1. Make Sure You’ve Signed in with a Right Profile!
If you’ve signed in with a different account, or a temporary profile, you can see all important files on your Windows 11 computer disappeared. Why? You know, different profile means standalone system which will result in different files saved them. The very first steps to find lost files after the upgrade to Windows 11 is checking whether you’re in the temporary profile or not.
1. Click the Start button > navigate to Settings > Accounts > Sync your settings.
2. If you see the message “You are logged on with a temporary profile. Roaming options are currently unavailable”, then it means in order to recover lost files in Windows 11, you must log out firstly.
3. After then, restart your Windows 11 PC and sign in with another account. Generally, the administration account is the one you usually use.
Please note that before you log out, if there are some files in the current profile system, you’re supposed to back up them to an external hard drive, avoiding data loss. If you’re not sure whether there are important files or it’s time consuming to do the backup, tryiBeesoft Dbackup to do the whole drive backup in the background.
Step 2. Look for the Files using Search in Windows 11
If you’re in the right user profile you’ve checked in step 1, then you can try the search box to search retrieve lost files after windows 11 update.
1. Click to open My computer/This Computer/Computer.
2. In the search box, type in the name of a file you’ve lost, letting the software look for it.
If you know very well where the lost files saved before losing, then you can click to open the drive. After then, search for the lost files there.
Tips for how to retrieve lost files after windows 11 update while searching for the lost files
1. Show hidden files. After open the drive where you had lost files after Windows 11 upgrade, click View > Hidden files and folders > select Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
2. Besides using file name to search for lost files after the upgrade to windows 11, you can always apply to file types. For example, if you’re searching for Word documents, you can type in *.doc in the search box, a PDF file using *.pdf, music songs *.mp3.
3. If you think there is any problem with the indexing (search) in Windows 11, fix it by typing indexing in the search box > select Indexing Options > Advanced > select Troubleshoot search and indexing.
Step 3. Enable a Windows 7/10/8 Administrator Account
If you upgrade to Windows 11 from Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10, then the Windows the former administrator account might be disabled, which will result in data lost since the files are saved in the disabled administrator account. In this case, you need to enable the disabled account, sign in to copy the files to a USB drive for later moving to Windows 11 administrator account.
1. Type computer management in the search box and select Computer Management.
2. Select Local Users and Groups in the left pane > select Users. If the account is disabled, then the icon should have an arrow as downside .
3. Double-click the icon to open a new window. From there, deselect the check box "Account is disabled" and apply the change.
4. Sign out and sign in with the previous administrator account. After then, connect a USB drive with your computer, and copy the files to the external hard drive.
Step 4. Retrieve Lost Files after Windows 11 Update with a Backup File
If you have tried the previous 3 steps for how to recover lost files after windows 11 upgrade and still can’t make it, then you can restore lost files after Windows 11 update with a backup file if you do have a backup file.
1. Click the Start button > navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Backup.
2. Choose Backup and Restore (Windows 7)
3. Select Restore my files and follow the built-in navigation to restore the lost files after Windows 11 update.
Step 5. Recover Lost Files after Windows 11 Upgrade with Data Recovery Software
If the previous 4 steps all failed to recover lost files after Windows 11 update, then you can try the last resort, recover missing files after an upgrade on windows 11 with data recovery software. iBeesoft Data Recovery is best Windows 11 data recovery to recover different types of files. Here are the steps for how to recover files lost during Windows 11 upgrade with it.
Step 1. Click the DOWNLOAD button to get the software on your Windows 11 computer. It’s fully compatible with Windows 11.
Step 2. Launch the data recovery software. In the first window, you can specify file types to scan by keeping them selected. By default, all file types are supported. Click “Start”.
Step 3. In the next window, please select the hard drive from where the files were lost. Select it and click “Scan”.
Step 4. Wait for the scanning process to finish. After then, select the found files to preview. When find the target files, select them and click “Recover”, saving the files to Windows 11 computer.