How to Recover Deleted Files from M1-Powered Mac in 4 Ways
We have already entered a world where data has become the most valuable resource that anyone has. Protecting it from being harmed, stolen, or lost in any way is something we all work on daily. However, it is still possible to lose it one way or another, and deletion is the most common thing that causes it. This is true for practically everyone, especially M1 Mac users who are still getting to grips with their new machine. While the OS is still the same, accidents can happen, and it is extremely important to know how to recover data from M1 Mac after it gets deleted. This guide will show you all the things that you can do to get back your lost files.
Method 1. Restore M1-powered Mac Deleted Files from Trash Can
Anything you do not permanently delete from your Mac comes into the Trash Can. This is temporary storage allocated for keeping recently deleted files in case the user wants to recover them later. For many users, this is the place where they may find their deleted files if all else is good on their Macs. This is also the most obvious recovery method as it is the first place your files may go to during a regular deletion process.
Another great thing about the Trash Can is that if it does not lose any data that comes in it, and if you sent your files here, you will find them 100%. In a way, it is just another folder on your Mac where you moved your files from their original location. Furthermore, it does not change the physical position of your files on your hard drive when you send them to the Trash Can. That is why they get moved so quickly. To recover data from M1 Mac using the Trash Can method, all you need to do is perform the following steps:
- Open the Trash Can app on your Mac. You can usually find it on your dock.
- Find the deleted files you want to recover in the Trash Can. It is a good idea to keep clearing the Trash Can periodically but not doing so would prove beneficial here.
- Once you find the files and folders you want to recover, simply option-click on them and then choose the “Put Back” option from the menu. Your files and folders should be back to their original location after that.
Of course, this method to recover data from M1 Mac will only work if you have not deleted your files permanently. If your files are not present in the Trash Can, then you may want to try one of the other methods shown below.
Method 2. Retrieve M1-Powered Mac Data from Time Machine Backup
Apple allows its users to create backups of their systems using their backup utility called Time Machine. This tool is present by default on every Mac including the M1-powered ones, and it is a great way of saving your files if you ever need them in the future. The software helps you create a complete backup of your system on a secondary device like an external HDD, and you can even make multiple copies of the backup to save yourself from even the most serious data loss situations.
Of course, you must remember that this method to recover data from M1 Mac Air only works if you already know about this tool and have created a backup. If you do not have a backup created or do not even have an external drive to create the backup on, then this method would not work for you. As for the steps involved in using Time Machine to recover data from M1 Mac Air, you need to follow these steps:
- Find the drive on which you made your Time Machine backup and connect it to your M1-powered Mac. Wait for your Mac to read the drive.
- Open the Launchpad and find the Time Machine app. Click on the icon to open it.
- You should now see your Mac's complete backup and browse through all the data you have saved. You must know where the file or folder you are looking for was originally located so you can easily reach it.
- Once you find the files or folders you want to recover, you must select them and then click on the Restore button.
That is all you need to do to recover data from M1 Mac Air using Time Machine. The files or folders should now be present on your Mac’s primary drive. If you cannot find your Mac’s Time Machine backup or did not create one, you might want to go for the options below.
Method 3. Recover M1-Powered Mac Files with Software
It is quite obvious that using a Macintosh puts you in a lot of tight spots when it comes to recovering deleted files from M1 Mac drive. Each method has its restrictions, and you must follow several rules to ensure that you successfully find your data. Even after you have fulfilled all the requirements, you can still end up with some sort of problem or a speed bump. Thankfully, the default tools given in your M1 Mac are not the only option that you have. There are third-party tools out there that you can use to restore data from M1 Mac drive.
Our favorite option of all is the iBeesoft Mac Data Recovery tool. This is one of the best third-party tools available out there that you can get your hands on these days. It comes with a lot of different features, including an easy three-step recovery method, support for a wide range of file formats, free recovery of up to 200MB of data, and so much more. The free Mac data recovery software also allows you to recover files in scenarios where you may not have any hope left, like corrupted drives and permanently deleted files. For anyone wanting to recover files from an m1 mac laptop, this method would do wonders.
As for the steps involved, as we mentioned earlier, all you need to do is go through three simple steps, and yes, one of those steps is recovering your files. Here are these steps are given in detail for you to follow:
- Make sure you have iBeesoft installed and running on your Mac. On the main screen, you should be seeing a large Start button in the middle, surrounded by several selectable file options. If you are aware of the type of files you are trying to recover, which are one of the six options given, then you can select them and unselect the rest to save scanning time. If not, you can simply click on the “All File Types” option and the Start button.
- On the next screen, you will see all the drives you have access to and can scan using this software. As noted earlier, iyou can also recover deleted files from external drives on Mac. However, for most recovery data from M1 MacBook Air cases, the hard drive they want to scan would be the internal drive, and you will find that option listed on top. Click on the correct option on this screen and then click on the blue Scan button on top of the window to start scanning.
- Now that all the selection is done, iBeesoft Mac Data Recovery software will start to look for all the deleted files that it can recover for you. The best thing about this tool is that it can recognize the file format and let you preview them to make sure you are recovering the right file. After previewing your recoverable data and selecting the files that you want to recover, all you need to do is click on the Recover button on top of the window, and the tool will automatically download the selected files to your Mac.
If you have files that are not showing up on the regular scan, you can also opt to click on the Deep Scan button. This will increase the time it takes to recover your files, but it should bring forward almost any file you may be looking for.
Method 4. Get Back M1-Powered Mac Data with iCloud
Not every case of recovery data from M1 MacBook Air requires a physical local backup that you can access. A great habit that you can form as a Mac user is to backup all your important files on your iCloud backup. Apple provides users the option to buy online storage where they can keep all their important files safe so that they can be accessed any time they want without having to take up any space on their M1 Macs.
If you have created an online backup of the files that you have deleted iCloud can come in to help you out. This is by far the easiest recovery method, but it does come with a few limitations. In case you have deleted the file on your iCloud drive as well then you will only be able to recover it within 30 days of deletion. Furthermore, while it may be possible to recover permanently deleted files from a physical drive, doing so on your iCloud would make them impossible to recover.
You can store pretty much any type of file you want on iCloud, but it cannot be larger than 50GB, and you must also have bought the storage for it. To recover deleted files from your iCloud backup, all you need to do is follow these steps:
- log in to your iCloud account and click on the iCloud Backup option. Alternatively, you can also find your iCloud drive in the Finder app if you have it enabled in your Finder preferences.
- Once you select the iCloud Drive option, you should see all the files and folders stored on your iCloud backup. Browse through them to find the files or folders you want to recover. Copy the files you want to recover and then simply paste them on your local drive wherever you want.
The files should get copied after downloading (in case local backup is not available), and you should be able to use your file just like before.
Each of these methods is effective in its own way but you can easily figure out that if you want the most effectiveness and ease, then a third-party tool like iBeesoft Mac Data Recovery would be your best bet. Do try it out for yourself as well, and let us know if you were able to recover deleted files from M1 Mac Laptop/Desktop successfully.