How to Permanently Delete Files from Hard Drive
"Is it the right way to permanently delete files from hard drive by using the shortcut Shift + Delete? I can’t find any explanation for it. I just want to erase some files from the hard drive, don’t want anybody to see them.".
Many people take for granted that the files are permanently deleted after them delete the files from the hard drive and empty them in the dust bin. It's kind of ironic it isn’t what we think about it. Deleted files are somewhere on your computer but invisible and the places where they once occupied are just marked as empty, waiting for new data to fill in. with some data recover programs, like iBeesoft Data Recovery, people can easily recover deleted files in Windows 11, 10, 8, and 7. To reach the goal of completely deleted files from hard drive, you need a professional tool for help. Below are 2 tools available for you to choose from.
#1. iBeesoft File Shredder
It is specially developed for people who want to delete files or folders on hard drive permanently. Based on advanced technology, it works like a shredder, destroying any data or file as you want, making it unrecoverable. To make it easier for people to operate on it, the user interface is quite simple. With the built-in wizard, you’ll be navigate to the success of file deletion soon. Here are its main features:
- Support deleting data on HDD and SSD
- Support removing files on external hard drive
- Allows to wipe partition
Here are the step-by-step guide for how to completely remove files from hard drive with iBeesoft File Shredder.
- Download the iBeesoft File Shredder installation package on your computer. Double-click the .exe to install it on your computer. It’s fully compatible with Windows 11/10/7/8/XP/Vista.
- In the main window, click the big "+" to select files or folder you want to delete from permanently on your hard drive. And from there, you’re supposed to set up how many time the software to delete the files or folder. The default is 3 times. You can set up it as many times as you like.
- Navigation to the file path or directory on your hard drive to select files or folder to remove
- Click "Shred Now" to let the software to delete files or folder on your hard disk for you. It only takes a few seconds to finish this process. After then, you can see the message "Files shred have been completed."
Please note that files and folders are folded under directory. You need to click the "+" before each directory to unfold them.
SDelete is a free command line utility developed by Microsoft. It is used for people to delete one or multiple files, folders and cleanse the free space on hard drive completely. Here are the steps for how to use SDelete to delete files in hard drive permanently.
- Set up a new folder on your hard disk to save the SDelete which you’re going to download to your computer. Next, download SDelete and save it to the destination. Please remember the file path, it will be use in step 2.
- Click Start menu at the bottom left, type in "cmd" Windows Search box and press Enter (Return). Next, type the file path of SDelete, where you have set it up in step 1. For example, if it is located at C:\sdeletetools, type C:\sdeletetools, and press Enter.
- Please type SDelete and then the file path or directory where you want to delete the file or directly, and press Enter. For example, to delete C:\needtodeleteddata.txt, you would type SDelete c:\ needtodeleteddata.txt, and press Enter.
- When the deletion is finished, you’ll receive the confirmation that the files or directory is permanently deleted.
Tips for Wipe the whole hard drive permanently
If you need to resell, donate or throw away your computer, you need to wipe the whole hard drives on your computer. To do it, you can also try iBeesoft File Shredder. If you don’t want to use any software to do it, or you just want to throw away your computer, you can also destroy the hard drives physically. By physically destroying it, there is no chance to recover the data on your hard drive as well.