Files on the desktop disappeared in Windows is a common problem that people can encounter. You can try the mentioned 5 ways in the article to fix it. If you can’t find the disappeared files, try iBeesoft Data Recovery to recover them as soon as possible. Otherwise, they will be lost permanently.
Is it hard for you to get back deleted files from your desktop? Here we give you five ways to recover files on the desktop disappeared Windows operating system. The leading cause of loss of files or records is due to accidental deletion. Others include system crashes, virus attacks, drive formats, and more.
You can recover files on the desktop disappeared Windows 7/8/10 operating system in a few simple steps. The iBeesoft Data Recovery software is powerful, convenient to use, and leading in its category. The robust algorithm with a user-friendly interface helps in getting back all the files that you lost. Apart from that, the software has the following features:
Before you can recover files on the desktop disappeared Windows 10 computer, download and install the trial version of iBeesoft Data Recovery software. It is a standalone and virus-free program.
Launch iBeesoft software. The main layout shows different file formats that it can recover. As a default, all of them have tick marks checked. However, you can check only specific formats that you want to recover. After ticking the format/formats, click the "Start" button to recover deleted files in Windows 10 or other OS.
The next screen shows you the partitions of the hard disk. It even displays any externally connected storage devices such as USB drives. Head to the path from where you want to get back the lost files. Click on the "Scan" button to allow iBeesoft to start scanning.
The time to complete ranges from a few minutes to an hour. It depends on the size of the selected file format. It will display the files in an orderly fashion. You can pick a folder using the folder tree to view the data that you can recover. You can also preview the contents before retrieving them. You can mark all the vital records and press the "Recover" button. Remember to choose a different location on your computer and create a new folder. You can view the files after the process is complete.
It is possible to get back files on the desktop disappeared during an update. An update actually does not delete the files but moves them to a new folder. There is a possibility that you can find the deleted files from the desktop in this folder. You can access the folder by following the steps:
1. Go to "This PC", Click on "Local Disk (C)"
2. Go to Users > User Name > Documents
You can also follow these steps:
1. Click "This PC"
2. Go to Local Disk (C) > Users > Public
You can check hidden files and folders to verify if files disappeared from desktop are there. There is a possibility that a few folders and files go hidden due to errors in the operating system. You can enable the option to view the hidden files and folders by following the steps mentioned below. You can then search for the data or folder that you think lost from the desktop.
1. Press Windows key and S at the same time and search for File Explorer. From the list that appears, choose the File Explorer Options feature.
2. After the File Explorer Options screen pops-up, head to the View tab. Now, go to the Advanced Settings column. Here, click "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" feature. Click the "Apply" button.
3. After this, you can head back to the desktop to search for the files or folders that you lost. You will find all the data in the folder with the same name.
You might not be searching for files on the desktop disappeared Windows throughout your hard drive. In some instances, the hard drive letter changes. For example, if you have stored a folder containing essential files in C drive, the operating system might have moved it to D:Users > your_username folder. The folder, likewise, can also be on a different partition.
You have to search the hard drive to ensure that you are not missing the files or folder. You can check for the file or folder using the name in the search box. Follow the steps below to do the same:
1. Open the File Explorer option on your computer. Select This PC from the left pane of the screen.
2. In the search box at the upper right corner, input the folder or file name that you are looking for.
3. Press Enter to allow the computer to search for the file/folder.
4. Once the search is complete, you can identify the path and head to the location to see if it is the file that you are searching for. Remember that the search takes time, as you are searching for your data on the entire hard drive.
Sometimes files on the desktop disappeared on Windows 10 are still there. When you have upgraded your operating system, it creates a new user account. Your old account is still there, but the OS does not make it a default user. Therefore, you have to sign in to see your files on the desktop. You can do so by following these steps:
1. Click "Start", choose the user icon, and click the "Sign out" option.
2. In the sign-in screen, login with your old account credentials.
3. After switching, you will be able to see all the files and folders.
If you have any other useful way to solve the problem of files on the desktop disappeared in windows, you can contact us and feel free to tell us. Anyway, if the disappeared files are really important for you, try iBeesoft Data Recovery to recover them in the very first place.