How to Recover Files from Corrupted/Failed Hard Drive on Mac
"The hard drive on my Mac suddenly failed. Is there any way to restore files from corrupted hard drive on Mac? I am really worried, fearing to lose important files from the corrupted hard drive on Mac."
It’s a disaster for people whose hard drive on Mac is corrupted or failed. No one can tell in the first place what will happen to the files saved there. And no one can say there isn’t any important file at all. In this case, you need to know how to get files back from failed or corrupted hard drive on Mac in the first place. After all, if files lost, you have to bear the bad result. Here we covered 3 parts in this article.
- Quick Navigation
- Part 1. How to Retrieve Files from Corrupted Hard Drive on Mac
- Part 2. Possible Reasons that Cause Hard Drive Failed on Mac
- Part 3. General Ways for How to Fix Corrupted Hard Drive on Mac
Part 1. How to Retrieve Files from Corrupted Hard Drive on Mac
Let’s put the first thing first. Whenever your hard drive on Mac failed, the very first thing is to check out whether files are accessible or not. Generally, they’re not accessible. In this case, you need to learn how to recover data from failed hard drive on Mac in the first place.
No matter how your hard drive on Mac corrupted or failed, data is trapped in the disk. It’s safe. I mean, they’re not deleted. However, it is not safe as well if you do not get back files from corrupted hard drive on Mac and fix the hard drive directly, which will result in data permanently deleted. You’re supposed to do the right thing. In this case, please download and install the iBeesoft Data Recovery Mac version to find the files from corrupted hard drive on Mac.
Recover Files from Failed Hard Drive on Mac with iBeesoft Data Recovery for Mac
The Mac data recovery software is developed for users to restore files from external hard drives and find various files from disks, CF cards, SD cards, etc. on Mac no matter for what reason you lost the files from the above mentioned hard drive. It works very well in resume data in a corrupted hard drive on Mac as well. Here are the key features of the software:
Your Best Corrupted Hard Drive Recovery Utility
- Supports more than 200 file types, covering all the most widely used file types. So, it can effectively to recover deleted files on Mac or get data back from formatted drive.
- Fully compatible with all macOS, including Mac Mojave, Catalina, etc.
- Recover data from an uninitialized disk and failed hard drive in 3 simple steps.
- Easy and simple to use with the built-in navigation.
How to restore files from corrupted hard drive
- Download the drive recovery software for Mac
- connect the corrupted disk to Mac
- Select file types
- Scan corrupted hard drive to find files
- Find files from corrupted hard drive
Click the DOWNLOAD button to get the corrupted disk recovery software. Install it on your Mac directly. It’s fully compatible with your macOS. If your macOS is above the Mojave, you’re supposed to set up the settings as the tool tells you how. It’s not available at App Store. So, you need to set up your system preferences as "install apps from App Store and identified source".
Next, launch the data recovery software for failed hard disk and you can see all supported file types are selected. By default, you can click "Start", letting it scan for all the supported files on your corrupted hard drive. If you only want to recover a certain type(s) of files from the hard drive, please only select the needed file types and click "Start".
In the next step, all hard drives available on your Mac are listed. Please select the corrupted one from which you want to get back files from. And then, click "Scan". It begins to look for files in the corrupted hard drive on Mac.
Wait patiently for the software to finish the whole scanning process. When it stopped, you can see all found files are put into the categories. Select the category on the left side and preview the files on the right side.
Optional: you can see the "Deep Scan" feature in the result window. It is more powerful than the default scanning mode. If you haven’t find as many files as you want, try this feature to scan the corrupted hard drive again. It will find more files for you.
Part 2. Possible Reasons that Cause Hard Drive Failed on Mac
There are different reasons for the hard drive failure on Mac. Generally, the reasons belong to:
- The computer and hard drive on Mac is too old
- There are some corrupted elements on the hard drive to file system
- Virus attack as well as a malware attack
- Bad sectors caused the corruption
- Abrupt Mac shutdown, like powered off
Part 3. General Ways for How to Fix Corrupted Hard Drive on Mac
Mac officially has the built-in tool to repair corrupted hard drive on Mac. It is Disk Utility. Here are the simple steps for how to use it to fix a corrupted hard drive on Mac.
1. Restart your Mac and before it boot successfully, please press and hold Command + R.
2. Click "Disk Utility" > Continue.
3. Go to the "View" menu and select "Show All Devices" > choose the corrupted hard drive on your Mac to repair.
4. Click "First Aid" an "Run". Wait patiently for the tool to check out what’s the problem of your corrupted hard drive. Just follow the tips from the tool to fix the hard drive on Mac.