Full Ways for How to Disable Windows 10 Update
Windows 10 updates are important for the smooth running of your computer. The new features of various Windows software usually come to enhance the experience Windows users are having when manipulating their computers. On a controversial note, these Windows updates usually come with certain problems such as causing bugs, glitches, and may even take long to get completed which may result in reduced performance of your computer during the update time after which they usually ask a computer restart for a perfect running of the update.
These various disadvantages of the automatic Windows 10 updates cause most Windows users to keep thinking about disabling updates in Windows 10. If you are among these users, then you found the article which will permit you to learn 4 methods you can use to prevent Windows updates from installing.
Solution 1: How to Disable Windows 10 Update with Pause Updates in Settings
This is the most common method of preventing Windows Updates on Windows 10 which comprises passing through the computer’s settings to disable Windows Updates. This is quite an easy method to proceed with but it is not the best because it is not a permanent solution to the problem. To pause Updates in settings,
- Click on the Windows Start button or press the Windows key to bring up the Windows Start Menu.
- Click on the settings button.
- Once the settings page comes up, click on Update and Security.
- Proceed by clicking on Advanced options.
- Under Pause Updates you will be able to set a time frame for which you want to temporarily prevent your Windows Updates from running. You can extend the pause time by up to 6 weeks.
After the time frame, the automatic Windows updates will resume again. Hence this method can permit you to temporarily put them on pause enabling you to work using your computer without any interruptions from Windows updates for the chosen time frame but once you are done with your work or the time frame exceeded, these updates can start again.
Solution 2: How to Prevent Windows Update from Installing with Windows Update Service
Using Windows Update Service is another efficient way of stopping loads of updates on your Windows 10 computer. However, this method is limited in that these updates are not permanently blocked as they restart after a certain time frame. This method will be ideal to prevent your Windows 10 updates during the day and enable them to run overnight when you are done working with your computer. To disable system updates on Windows using Windows Update Service,
- Press Win Key + R to open the Run dialog box.
- In the space, type services.msc and press Enter.
- Scroll through the different services and find Windows Update.
- Double click on Windows Update, go to the Startup type and choose Disabled.
- Click on Apply then on OK to save the new settings.
If you want to enable Windows Updates again, you can then follow the same procedure but in the Startup Type, choose Automatic.
You can equally choose the Manual option in the Startup type which permits you to choose when to start and when to stop the Windows Updates by right-clicking on Windows Update in the services page and clicking on Start or Stop.
Solution 3: How to Stop Windows 10 from Checking for Updates with Group Policy
This is an alternative method to stop windows 10 from checking for updates in your computer system. To proceed with this method,
- Press Win + R to launch the Run dialog box or press Win + S to launch the search box (Use anyone)
- In the chosen box, type gpedit.msc then press Enter. This enables you to open the Local Group Policy Editor.
- On the left panel of the Local Group Policy Editor Window, Click on Computer Configuration and follow the path Administrator Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update
- Go to the right panel of the Window, locate and double click on Configure Automatic Update. A popup window will then appear.
- In the popup Window, choose Enabled.
- Go to the Options and in the Configure automatic updating section, select Notify for Download and Auto install from the drop-down menu.
- Click on Okay to save your settings and restart your computer to permit it to adjust to the new settings.
This method permits you to totally disable windows 10 updates on your computer. However, every time there are new updates you may want to apply to your system, you can be able to do them manually.
This section will work only for Windows 10 users whose versions of Windows are different for the Home Version.
Solution 4: How to Disable System Updates in Windows 10 by Metering Network Connection
This is the last method on the list and consists of setting a data limit to your computer (That is, metering your network connection) to temporarily prevent Windows updates on your PC. To effectively meter your network Connection,
- Open the Start Menu by pressing the Windows Key or clicking on the start button.
- Click on Settings.
- On the settings page, click on Network and Internet option.
- On the left side of the screen, Click on WIFI then Click on Manage known networks.
- On the next page, click on the WIFI network which you mainly use.
- Click on Properties
- You will see Metered Connection. Below it, toggle Set as metered connection to On.
Certain systems due to setting Metered Connection On will not be able to backup information anymore. For example, OneDrive. As a result, this method is not the most suitable when you have other systems such as OneDrive which have backup functions to regularly carry on with. Nevertheless, it is still a good method you can use to disable updates on windows 10 in 2022.
Windows Updates are essential and helpful for the functioning of our computer systems. Sometimes, however, these updates are not properly timed, too many, and may result in bugs or crashes on software we use regularly and as a result, we may have to do without these updates sometimes. Using any one of these methods from the list above, you are guaranteed to permanently disable or to the very least pause these updates so that you may be able to peacefully work on your computer.